Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece help

mert

Can you guys assist me on what I need to fill my eyepiece gap?

The scope is a 12" LX90 F/10 Meade

I currently have a 2" 38mm Skywatcher Panaview, a 2" 30mm UW80, 12mm TV Nagler T4 and an 8mm TV Plossl.

I was looking at a 17.3 Delos and was about to buy today. I'm wondering if it's the right choice?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say as good as Johns choice is with the 17mm Nagler, I would go for a 20mm Nagler, this is a great globular cluster eyepiece on our scopes, the 22mm would also be as good but I think it is a bit more expensive.

just stopped myself buying a 21mm pocket emptier because I have the Nagler, I just can't sell this eyepiece. So I am buying the 26mm instead.

Alan.

John the 17mm is still a great eyepiece, I was going to buy one but the Ethos came up. The funny thing is with the SC and I guess with its 3m F/L I don't tend to use the Ethos's and I find with the scope 17mm just a tiny bit too much with stars. However for clusters the 20mm Nagler is without doubt as good as it gets, the 22mm would be great to for anyone who has to wear glasses.

I thought very long and hard about not getting the 21mm Ethos, I just think the 26mm Nagler will give me more service with the scopes I have collected. There will always be another day. BTW, like the 2b or not 2b joke.

Alan.

Sorry for chiming again but my Nagler 20T5 was my first green and it is excellent and then some in all of my SCTs. I bought the E17 on a whim to go with the C11, and it's more or less the same FOV. But I can't bring myself to unload the Nagler, it's so versatile...

Interesting comparing the last 2 posts to my initial suggestion :smiley:

I actually have a 20mm T5 Nagler myself and agree that it's a superb eyepiece even though the longest focal length scope I have is 1,590mm.

I've no experience with the 22 but if you need the eye relief it'd be the one. I don't find the 20 tight at all, but those with glasses might. As you have an 8mm plossl, it's probably safe to assume you don't need them :D

Btw, if you're in the market for a Nagler AND a Delos, maybe the Ethos 17 is a better fit? Same FOV as the 20T5, same optical qualities as the Delos. Beware though, it's a big boy...20T5 is more compact.

I've no experience with the 22 but if you need the eye relief it'd be the one. I don't find the 20 tight at all, but those with glasses might. As you have an 8mm plossl, it's probably safe to assume you don't need them :D

Btw, if you're in the market for a Nagler AND a Delos, maybe the Ethos 17 is a better fit? Same FOV as the 20T5, same optical qualities as the Delos. Beware though, it's a big boy...20T5 is more compact.

I'd love an Ethos but cant justify the cost. :D I'll be selling the 8mm TV Plossl as I doubt it will get used.

TH have a TeleVue sale going on at the moment, 10% off for another couple of weeks :eek:

Don't get me started about ES, I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing it :D (see my sig). I hear the 100 degree 20mm is nice, but much better pricing from the US :police: makes them much better value, competitively, than over here. The ES 82 and Meade UWA are rumoured to be foals of the same mare.

Mert,

I have Meade UWA 30mm 24mm 14mm and a 5.5mm all work very well in the LX scope as it should do coming from the same company. I have a lot of eyepieces to cover the 4 scopes I have, if you were going to go for one of these I would go for the 24mm. They once made an 18mm UWA though I have not seen one for some time. In Amaerica they market a 20mm UWA though what is like I have no idea as it is very new. The 5.5mm is also new but it also very good, I have not had much chance to use it. It was a gift to me and ever since the clouds followed be back from England with it, they have decided they like it here.

Bite the bullet and get the 20mm Nagler

Alan.

I'd love an Ethos but cant justify the cost. :D I'll be selling the 8mm TV Plossl as I doubt it will get used.

..i said the same thing...best £459 i've spent..believe me..the 13mm IS one of the best E.P's EVER made

Mert,

I have Meade UWA 30mm 24mm 14mm and a 5.5mm all work very well in the LX scope as it should do coming from the same company. I have a lot of eyepieces to cover the 4 scopes I have, if you were going to go for one of these I would go for the 24mm. They once made an 18mm UWA though I have not seen one for some time. In Amaerica they market a 20mm UWA though what is like I have no idea as it is very new. The 5.5mm is also new but it also very good, I have not had much chance to use it. It was a gift to me and ever since the clouds followed be back from England with it, they have decided they like it here.

Bite the bullet and get the 20mm Nagler

Alan.

Hi Alan

I know I should get the Nagler, but the 24mm Meade 5000 UWA looks good for the price. I'm definitely ordering tonight :D

Unfortunately I've not tried the 18mm ES82 as I bought the 20T5 first and thought it would be too close. Then I got tempted into the 17mm Ethos. Hmm.

The Meade UWA seem to be a decent price over here, but the ES 82 and 100 are not far from TeleVue pricing to be competitive, imo. If you imported from the US, that's a different matter ;)

It's a tough one, and to come full circle, the 17.3 Delos would no doubt be a good choice :cool:

Damo, in a LX90 with F10 it may well be as good as the Ethos 21mm but I am an eyepiece snob and it would always have to be the TV. I have changed my mind on this now and I am going to get the 26mm Nagler because I thing the eyepiece will be more useful to me. That's not to say I will not get one at a later date or if I see another one secondhand, I don't fancy the one on ABS at the moment and it looks like I am not on my own.

Alan.

You are probably correct Alan, an f10 scope is pretty forgiving on ep's. I thought I'd throw it into the mix (although I see now that Dunkster had already mentioned it previously) as the op had stated he would love an Ethos but couldn't justify the cost.

Archived