Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Delos

mert

I don't have a 17.3 Delos but do have 3 of the others and you can on all of them so I would have thought the answer was yes. They are really top eyepieces I know I have had words with one member on site that has the 17.3mm and he is well impressed with it as i am mine.

I see you have the same size of scope as me, I wish I had got the 90 now. You should try a 40mm with it, it gives lovely wide views.

Alan.

Cheers guys

I don't have a 17.3 Delos but do have 3 of the others and you can on all of them so I would have thought the answer was yes. They are really top eyepieces I know I have had words with one member on site that has the 17.3mm and he is well impressed with it as i am mine.

I see you have the same size of scope as me, I wish I had got the 90 now. You should try a 40mm with it, it gives lovely wide views.

Alan.

Cheers Alan

Why the 90 over the lx200? Is it the weight?

Yep it has a thread to screw in filters.

For me the 17.3mm is the jewel in the Delos range of EP's, highly recommended. :)

Cool. Just wondering if I should push the boat out and get an Ethos now lol , No I shouldn't :D

Cool. Just wondering if I should push the boat out and get an Ethos now lol , No I shouldn't :D

Ethos are very nice but the only difference between them and the Delos are FoV and price, best to try a 100˚ EP first before you buy.

Rannoch? Bet you have some seriously dark skies up there! :Envy:

As your scope has a driven mount the extra FoV of the Ethos may not be so useful to you, other than aesthetically.

My scopes are un-undriven and on alt-azimuth mounts so 100 degrees of razor sharp FoV is very helpful :smiley:

You do loose some eye relief with the Ethos too so spectacle wearers may well find the Delos ticks more boxes for them.

Ethos are very nice but the only difference between them and the Delos are FoV and price, best to try a 100˚ EP first before you buy.

Rannoch? Bet you have some seriously dark skies up there! :Envy:

I think the Delos is more in my price range, sensible head on today, the skies are very dark here, I'm 4 miles from The Dall Estate, I'm up there Monday to Friday, back to light polluted Edinburgh at weekends lol

As your scope has a driven mount the extra FoV of the Ethos may not be so useful to you, other than aesthetically.

My scopes are un-undriven and on alt-azimuth mounts so 100 degrees of razor sharp FoV is very helpful :smiley:

You do loose some eye relief with the Ethos too so spectacle wearers may well find the Delos ticks more boxes for them.

Hi John

Thanks for the info, never thought about that :)

I think the 17.3 Delos will fit into my collection nicely, I would have liked the 10mm Delos also as I've never got on with my 8mm TV Plossl, but I haven't tried it yet under dark skies.

Hi John

Thanks for the info, never thought about that :)

I think the 17.3 Delos will fit into my collection nicely, I would have liked the 10mm Delos also as I've never got on with my 8mm TV Plossl, but I haven't tried it yet under dark skies.

An 8mm eyepiece will be giving you 381x with your scope. Thats an awful lot given the seeing conditions that we are often trying to observe under. I'm not surprised that you had some issues with it.

Hi John

I had that eyepiece with my old scope 12" dob, I hadn't realised it was 381x as you say, what would you say the max magnification would be for the UK on my scope, maybe a 10mm eyepiece?

On really good nights and assuming that your scope is in good collimation and fully cooled you may find 381x useful or even a bit more on exceptional nights. Most of the time I would think that 250x - 280x would be the practical max. Less if seeing conditions are not great. Some objects (eg: Jupiter) just don't "take" high magnification as well as others (eg: Saturn, Mars).

Mert,

I have to agree with John on this I think that 8mm on our F/L is aiming a bit high. For me to top out at 10mm is enough on a 12 inch, this is giving you X304 which I only ever use on Mars because it is so small.

The 10mm Delos is very very good in the Meade, I have one. As for magnifcation I tend to stay below 12mm on the Meade with the same eyepiece I see you also have. and most times below 14mm.

Hope this helps a little,

Alan.

the delos can take 1 1/4 filters but think about this first. I have the LX 90 as well and put on a 2 inch focuser so as to purchase EPs like ethos and nagler which have 2" barrels (except the delos and my 10mm ethos with I put an extender on so as to be parfocal with others and with it now takes 2" filters as well). If you end up with EPs with 2" barrels you end up with filters that are 2" as I have. If you put the delos in the 1 1/4 adapter that goes into the 2" focuser put your filter (2") directly into the adapter and not at the bottom of the EP which requires 1 1/4 filters. Point is think about where you will end up when it comes to the purchase filters that go into you collection of EPs. I did and I only have 2" filters (no need for 1 1/4 filters but of the former are more expensive but they fit all of my EPs whether they have 2" or 1 1/4" barrels. By the way the ethos and naglers are great in the LX 90 and whenever others look through you will consistently hear WOW!

If the Delos 17.3 is anything like the Ethos it will be a peach in your 12"... I have the E17 and in my C11 it's sublime even from my LP suburb (it's great in the C8 too, but that's not quite the same :D) Just the right mag for cracking open globs :Envy: and hoovering up Jupiter's moons :cool:

On really good nights and assuming that your scope is in good collimation and fully cooled you may find 381x useful or even a bit more on exceptional nights. Most of the time I would think that 250x - 280x would be the practical max. Less if seeing conditions are not great. Some objects (eg: Jupiter) just don't "take" high magnification as well as others (eg: Saturn, Mars).

Cheers

So the 12mm Nagler that I have is perhaps on the limit, I'd hate to splash out on say a 10mm Delos and only use it once in a blue moon :)

Mert,

I have to agree with John on this I think that 8mm on our F/L is aiming a bit high. For me to top out at 10mm is enough on a 12 inch, this is giving you X304 which I only ever use on Mars because it is so small.

The 10mm Delos is very very good in the Meade, I have one. As for magnifcation I tend to stay below 12mm on the Meade with the same eyepiece I see you also have. and most times below 14mm.

Hope this helps a little,

Alan.

It does help Alan, where i am just now the seeing is usually good, no light pollution etc, I'll have another good go with my 8mm Plossl on Jupiter and see how I go. But the 12mm Nagler i have is probably perfect for that.

the delos can take 1 1/4 filters but think about this first. I have the LX 90 as well and put on a 2 inch focuser so as to purchase EPs like ethos and nagler which have 2" barrels (except the delos and my 10mm ethos with I put an extender on so as to be parfocal with others and with it now takes 2" filters as well). If you end up with EPs with 2" barrels you end up with filters that are 2" as I have. If you put the delos in the 1 1/4 adapter that goes into the 2" focuser put your filter (2") directly into the adapter and not at the bottom of the EP which requires 1 1/4 filters. Point is think about where you will end up when it comes to the purchase filters that go into you collection of EPs. I did and I only have 2" filters (no need for 1 1/4 filters but of the former are more expensive but they fit all of my EPs whether they have 2" or 1 1/4" barrels. By the way the ethos and naglers are great in the LX 90 and whenever others look through you will consistently hear WOW!

Cheers for the tip, I only have one 1.25 eyepiece so far and it's the 8mm Plossl which I've found out is way too much mag, was ok in my 12" dob.

I have 2 filters, a 2" narrow band nebula filter and a 2" h-beta filter which i plan to use when the moon disappears around the 10th and Orion is highest that night :D

What extender do you have?

Thanks

Archived