NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 1100D lens recommendations

jon1000

Hi, I bought a canon 1100D DSLR camera today. I bought it because of the recommendations on this site, I have not used it much but I am very happy with it.

Could anyone recommend some decent lenses for it, I want a decent zoom lens and a fish eye lens and any others that you might recommend for me to look at.

I know they are not needed for astronomical photos but would like a few.

I also don't have much money do good value would be a help.

Thanks

I'm sure I just answered a similar question on another thread... :-)

EF-S 55-250

EF 50/1.8

The above two lenses are optically very good, and any other canon lenses which aren't horrible are at least twice the price.

Hmm. That first one could be tempting to get me a bit more focal length than my 200mm.

When people say that a 50mm lens on an APS-C camera is like an 80mm lens, they're only talking about the field of view, aren't they? The focal length and image scale remain the same for all cameras. It's just what will fit on the sensor that they're referring to?

James

Your 200mm is pretty good though or at least you seem to be getting nice pinpoint stars with them, which one is it again?

Don't be tempted into the 75-300mm EF if you can help it, it's not great, I'd gladly swap mine for something else.

Yeah I have noticed the price levels for that. I was wondering if an older lens with an adapter mat be a option to explore. If that 250mm doesn't suffer the same type of artifacts as mine it's worth looking into also.

I have also been looking at the samyang fisheyes, I know a few people have them and they seem decent enough for the price.

I'm using old film SLR prime lenses for wide field DSOs. The best one I've got is an Asahi SMC Tukumar 200mm f4 but just haven't had the weather to test it properly. So far it seems very good. But I've had some good results with Vivitar lenses. Again 200mm but very slightly faster at f3.5.

I have the 200mm f/2.8L. It starts getting hideously expensive for more focal length at that point though :(

James

I recently borrowed my dads 70-300mm L and 300mm L. Stonking lenses, but worth more than my car... :/

blumming heavy too.... After 3-4 hours with them my wrist was killing me!

Archived