Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

W/C 26th November

swamp thing

Hi All

Working a fair way from home at the moment so late nights and early starts have made things tough for any Astro related stuff. This week is full moon time so I guess it'll clear up, not sure I'm gonna rush out though. Hopefully next week I'll be working a bit nearer home and can get out a bit (if its clear) :)

wow you must be tired!! still hasnt had an outing yet, whilst clearish tonight too many clouds passing and full moon dont tempt me either.

I'm thinking about proper power tank options as dont have battery for it yet. probably going for 33ah gel battery (powerdrive) and make up customer power cable. welcome to drop round if want a look at some point

Getting a wee bit cold too....

EQ6, the synscan one? If so then upgrade the firmware to the latest beta and get the polar re-alignment feature. I have not had a clear night to test it, but it sounds like it will make the task a whole lot more painless. If you need a cable, I have one.

PEter

I haven't got the scope out this week either just cos of work and generally feeling knackered.

I did notice the other morning on the way to work a couple of bright dots low in the sky so I had a quick look on Google to find out that it was Saturn and Venus and that Mercury was there somewhere too.

It looks clear tonight and I am tempted to nip outside early on Sunday morning to see if I can see all three. It would be great to see Mercury - I've never observed it before :)

Thanks. Well, the skies were the best since I don't know when and quite possibly the coldest! I set the alarm for 0550 and I'm very glad I did.

Saturn looked incredible as did Venus. Mercury was fantastic! Okay, not as impressive as Jupiter or Saturn but to know what you're looking at and that it's the first time makes it so rewarding :)

8236386853_13949f7a7b_b.jpg

Early Sunday morning sky. by MrLeebert, on Flickr

EDIT: Also, Mercury was a lot further from the Sun than I first thought. We had about 45 minutes of observing before it got too light and even then, the Sun wasn't actually visible. When I have looked for it before, I think I have been trying to find it too close to Sunrise or Sunset as it were.

Mercury is coming up for greatest elongation from the Sun on 4th December. Lets hope for some more clear mornings this coming week.

Looked out the window at 330 trying to get number 2 son to go to sleep! High near full moon, but the steadiness of the atmosphere was spooky! No twin king on Sirius or the stars all the way to the bottom of Canis Major.... Jupiter would have been pretty perfect.

Cheers

Peterw

First post to this group! Thought I'd see some of you on usual Surrey mountaintop for Jupiter opposition tonight (i.e.3rd). Took pictures and they're still work in progress but thought I'd share one anyway.

Joe

Nexstar 127SLT, Revelation 2.5x barlow, Phillips SC880 webcam, SharpCap, Registax 5, Photoshop 6

post-23681-0-01693900-1354598870_thumb.j

Hope you guys are out there now! Just had to push the little one round outside to get him to sleep.... nice and clear straight up. SQM reading of 18.8, which is the best I have seen from hereabouts. Bet I'll get grief from a colleague at work about why I have not imaged Jupiter yet..... cos the little one does not know how to sleep "properly"!

Cheers

PEter

Just driven back from up north circa 200m, also had little one up hence no outdoor joy tonight.

Got to say the skies up there are whole lot darker- nearest comparison is being in a dark room, and having an LCD screen on but blank, versus completely off . (If that makes sense) Get to experience a whole darker shade of blackness :)

Been raising a glass or two to Sir Patrick Moore here tonight. Both the drinking kind and optical kind. It's nice and clear but blumming cold. Mostly hung around Taurus checking out Jupiter, m37 and trying to find Vesta and Ceres (without much luck it must be said).

Archived