Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginners' First Visual Instrument?

So what device would you (as an experienced observer) recommend to a beginner as to their first observing instrument?

Your choice should consider cost, ease of operation and potability.

Here are your choices:

1. Eyes alone

2. Binocular

3. Refractor

4. Reflector

5. Schmidt-Cassegrain

6. Maksutov

I don't think there can be a blanket recommendation. One person might live in an apartment without a lift, another might have a garden. The person might live in a city and want to view planets (no problem) or live in the city and want to view DSO (more difficult).

I started with a Nexstar 4SE and it has served me well. I've hankered after larger instruments but the 4SE gets the job done, whether the task is resolving features on Mars or resolving stars in M13. Another observer might need a more powerful scope to provide a pleasing view.

+1 for what Ags said

This I believe is the order of operation for the perfect scope.

Where will I use it?

How will I get it there?

How easily can I get it there?

What do I want to see?

What can I afford?

The answer to each question is what should decide your final compromise as the answer to what is the best scope to buy? Is the scope you will use most.

I agree with Michael above and see binoculars as an essential piece of kit in addition to the use of a scope. Budget will always be the main arbiter for any type of scope you want but aperture per pound, the dobsonians are hard to beat. All types of scopes have advantages and disadvantages but more importantly different uses, and if I was being totally honest, you would probably want to own more than one type. :grin: I find that those starting out generally find themselves locked into a debate that essentially tries to balance cost against an unmeasured expectation. The backdrop to this wrestling match is that beginners more than any other group need to know how interesting observing can be but often fail in achieving that goal because they purchase scopes that in my view are poor performers - which results in a disappointing experience and in the longer term a loss of interest. When new people want to research what scope to buy, I invariably ask them to make sense of all the scope specifications that they inevitably read about on the internet, by suggesting that they try and establish their own benchmark of what will meet their expectations - by that I mean attend a few observation nights organised by a local astro club or observing group in order that they able to get there eye 'in' where it matters - at the eyepiece. I also suggest that in addition to making a record of the very scope they observed through, that they make a record of the eyepiece being used too as that can make quite a difference to the viewing experience.

Budget is deal breaker but what you want to observe is as important too, unfortunately there is not one do it all scope though Newtonian type scopes come close.

Clear skies

James

In some ways I believe that it makes sense to start with something that you aspire to, even if there is a measure of 'steepish learning curve' applied. I began (aspired to) my journey in astronomy, with an 8"SCT - affordable because I bought it second hand and travelled some distance to collect and I have no doubt will end with it.

So venturing out, perhaps with friends or club members attending events, gaining understanding and shaping your mind before planning and evolving your own equpiment. Then you will have the conviction to know what you need, perhaps indefinately, rather than beginning with stuff considered as entry level and then sell on or put in an attic within six months use.

Incidentally binoculars, whether 10x50 or 15x70 should be on anyone's list as a must have optical tool from the outset.

Archived