Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keep the IR filter or not??

nephilim

Hi all, x-box cam arrived today for modding which i'll start at the weekend. I've got everything I need & read/watched a load of tutorials BUT the one thing i'm slightly confused about is wether I keep the IR filter in OR take it out?? What are the differences with either option? :confused:

You require an IR/UV filter to be in the imaging train due to the fact that IR light comes to focus at a different focal point than the rest. Sooo, keep it.

Not sure how you will do that. Mosty normally buy a separte IR/UV filter which you then screw into the "nose piece" that you have purchased to enable the camera to fit /be held in the EP holder.

Ian

IIRC the IR fitler in the Xbox camera is separate small piece of "glass" fitted into the lens mount behind the lens. I removed the lens mount and popped it out on my cameras because I was going to be using them with a "proper" IR filter on the front of the nosepiece. The camera does seem quite IR sensitive though, so if you don't have a separate IR filter I'd leave it in place for the time being.

James

I am not familiar with the mods to a x-box cam, only a Phillips SPC880. With that you unscrew the lens, which has the IR filter on it. You then purchase a nose piece like this one:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/125-low-profile-nosepiece-to-webcam-lens-thread-toucam-840k.html

and attach that to the webcam, where the lens was removed from. You then screw a IR/UV filter into the other end.

Hope that helps,

Ian

On my life cam studio that i use for only planets i had to take out the ir filter and the lens, all mine is now is a chip pointed toward the sky! Now i was supposed to save the ir filter for it if i wanted to use it for terresteral viewing during the day or something.

Archived