Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So what should I put on my ''Christmas list'' ;)

So I'm starting a little list of things I want for my telescope, so far I have:

1. Sky-watcher 2x deluxe achromatic 1.25'' Barlow

2. Variable polarizing moon filter (1.25'')

thinks I'm thinking of adding:

A telrad finder

Sun filter

a star chart or a planisphere

Anything else I should add or take away?

Feel free to post what you plan to buy.

I'm not sure if you are treating yourself or whether this list is intended for someone else - nothing quite like spending someone else's money! :grin:

I agree with jabberwocky above on both suggestions as that finder combination (Telrad+RACI) is all that you need to find any object up there. As you are clearly an observing type of guy, have you thought of an O-III filter for viewing diffuse and planetary nebulae or a UHC-S (Ultra High Contrast) on emission nebulae? They cost around the £60 mark for 1.25" and up to £80" for 2" of course depending on the brand but I would seriously consider the O-III if there was a choice between the two.

Clear skies

James

A Baader Solar filter is great to have. It's cheap, lasts an age, and you can observe in the blissful warmth of the sun. The sun is also a fascinating object to study in itself which lends towards a greater understanding of the stars you are observing at night.

A neutral-density filter and a polarizing filter I think are pretty useless unless you're using them in very large instruments. I guess a part of me says they are useless because the primary purpose of a telescope is to gather light and wasting light just seems to be silly. But the real reason I say they're useless is because there are probably better alternatives. If there is a bright full moon, then that's the worst time to observe the Moon because there is no shadow and there is no contrast. And if the Moon is too bright for you in your eyepiece on any other occassion, then that's nature's way of telling you to use more magnification, and perhaps a contrast filter like a Neodymium, or both. The Neodymium is also handy because it can act as a decent filter on Jupiter and Mars and cuts down sky glow.

A planisphere might be of some use, but I think you'll get a lot more out of a decent star atlas like the pocket one from Sky and Telescope and if you need to print out a planisphere you can do so from sites like this one.

+ 1 for the Telrad.

my most essential list of accessories for visual observing is similar to others:

in order of preference / importance to me

Other than the above, it's then just a case of creating a set of eyepieces to last a lifetime and perhaps another scope in due course for more aperture. Leave that 'til next Christmas though :grin:

I fancy a RACI finder for xmas as it goes :tongue:

I would also recommend the TAL barlow over the SW one!

The Tal Barlow has been highly praised on this forum for some time but I understand it is no longer available. Looks like those that want one will have to look second hand but they don't come up often.

Archived