Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon filter?

If you want an honest answer..................

You dont need one.

The only time you might want to use one is when the Moon is full but then there is no contrast available to observe so its not worth observing while in full phase.

Also observing a full Moon will mess up your dark adapted eyes,so if you want to observe faint fuzzies afterwards you have to wait about 40 mins after looking at the full Moon......................but dont forget that when the Moon is full................most faint fuzzies are not visible.............even with a Moon filter.

If you want an honest answer..................

You dont need one.

The only time you might want to use one is when the Moon is full but then there is no contrast available to observe so its not worth observing while in full phase.

Also observing a full Moon will mess up your dark adapted eyes,so if you want to observe faint fuzzies afterwards you have to wait about 40 mins after looking at the full Moon......................but dont forget that when the Moon is full................most faint fuzzies are not visible.............even with a Moon filter.

Well I mostly wish to get one because when I took a picture of the moon using my phone it had a huge bright spot, I was hoping a moon filter might reduce the brightness so I can see more detail when taking a picture, and so my eyes don't feel like they are being dipped in acid when I look at the moon... :D

I prefer a variable polarising filter personally , gives you a lot of adjustment in one filter , the Moon varies in brightness from phase to phase so it's really handy to have the control.

http://www.firstligh...oon-filter.html

steve.

Intresting, I will probably go for this one then... Thank you very much for making me aware of it!!

If you go for a fixed density filter the ND96 (0.09) is the best one for the 200P = 13% light transmission. You won't need it all the time, as suggested above. I find the variable polarizing filters a bit of a faff and tend to use my fixed ones for convenience, to be honest.

I use a variable one and happy with it. It's nice being able to adjust the brightness according to the brightness of the moon, however I sometimes find it a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the brightness you desire as there are no clicks to tell you how far round you turn the dial, you have to look through it and gauge it by how dark or bright it goes. I have to say I disagree with the earlier comment about not needing one unless its full. I guess everyones eye's are different but I can't look at the moon for long with out one, not too bad at 1/4 full but over 1/2 full I need one. I also find when I use a filter not only is it more comfortable but the dark spot in the vision afterwards is reduced so you can get back to observing with normal eyes quicker. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Archived