Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lonely Clavius through the mist

Jupiterholic

So frustrating. First its clear. Then by the time I've set up the mist has rolled in. Then the seeing actually looks good despite the fact that the jet stream is overhead. Then it gets mistier. Then I can't focus. Then I give up. But not before I've caught a single avi of Clavius at F17.5

This is it, this is all I've managed since the beginning of September. The UK weather really sucks!

post-9536-0-69096700-1353764175_thumb.jp

That is one hell of a picture. Got to get off the

rear end & get out there.Just setting it all up

again, is the real problem.

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Why is setting up a problem? having said that...aside from tripping over wires, fingers freezing up, the batteries on my electric focuser running out, corrector plate dewing up before I even get the dew shield on, not being able to polar align, not being able to focus, not being able to screw the damn OTA to the mount then tripping over wires again and sending my polar alignment out.... setting up is a breeze for me. :undecided:

At the moment I would be very happy to get just one .avi out of a night! Especially one that looks that good after stacking.

As you said the weather here really sucks.

I have just come back from a holiday in New York. The skies there were clear every night. The only problem is the light pollution!!!! :glasses9:

Despite having weeks of cloudy weather before we left to go on holiday, we returned to cloud and rain also, my mother-in-law tells me that they had lovely clear nights whilst we were away! :BangHead:

Still, at least I managed to grab some bargains at B&H Photography and Adorama in Manhattan. :headbang:

I have just come back from a holiday in New York. The skies there were clear every night. The only problem is the light pollution!!!! :glasses9:

Despite having weeks of cloudy weather before we left to go on holiday, we returned to cloud and rain also, my mother-in-law tells me that they had lovely clear nights whilst we were away! :BangHead:

I feel your pain, I recently returned from a week in the Maldives, the darkest most crystal clear skies I have ever seen. If my collimation would have survived a 10 hour flight and I had enough money, time and permission from the mrs I'd have taken my scope out there!

When we got back we landed in the UK on the foggiest day of the year. That was pretty much a middle finger from mother nature if ever I saw one.

I feel your pain, I recently returned from a week in the Maldives, the darkest most crystal clear skies I have ever seen. If my collimation would have survived a 10 hour flight and I had enough money, time and permission from the mrs I'd have taken my scope out there!

When we got back we landed in the UK on the foggiest day of the year. That was pretty much a middle finger from mother nature if ever I saw one.

I know what you mean. In 2010 I was out in Indonesia, sailing around the islands in the Komodo National Park. I was more interested in diving then, but if I could go back now I would take a scope and not scuba gear!

I bet if I took up an indoor hobby the skies would be crystal clear every night!

Archived