NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 Mount

Recently purchased the above 'scope and am more than pleased with its performance. Although the EP's supplied are adequate, I would like to upgrade to better EP's in the near future, once I get used to my new 'scope. Any suggestions (Between £40 and £100)

Recently purchased the above 'scope and am more than pleased with its performance. Although the EP's supplied are adequate, I would like to upgrade to better EP's in the near future, once I get used to my new 'scope. Any suggestions (Between £40 and £100)

Hello & Welcome to SGL :),

there is a post by The Warthog (Eyepieces: the very least you need) that explains very well how to choose the right eyepieces: for the 200P (F5), it turns out that 8mm, 18mm and 25mm would be the best choices, along with a 2X barlow to increase the power as needed. I also own a 200P with Eq5, and I just bought 2 Vixen NPL eyepieces from FLO:

8 mm at £ 30 that I will be using for planetary (choice made with the suggestions of The Warthog in mind),

30mm at £ 40 that I will attempt using as an aid for finding objects and for improved DSO/ wide-ish observation (although, I don't know how well it can perform on a 200P, but it should work fine I guess).

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but the reviews seem fairly positive given the price range, and they don't look/feel like cheapish lightweight pieces of plastic as the bundled eyepieces :)

Quick final note (not sure if it will apply to your case): more accurate collimation will drastically improve views even with the bundled eyepieces! :)

Clear Skies

• 4 weeks later...

Hello & Welcome to SGL :),

there is a post by The Warthog (Eyepieces: t

he very least you need) that explains very well how to choose the right eyepieces: for the 200P (F5), it turns out that 8mm, 18mm and 25mm would be the best choices, along with a 2X barlow to increase the power as needed. I also own a 200P with Eq5, and I just bought 2 Vixen NPL eyepieces from FLO:

8 mm at £ 30 that I will be using for planetary (choice made with the suggestions of The Warthog in mind),

30mm at £ 40 that I will attempt using as an aid for finding objects and for improved DSO/ wide-ish observation (although, I don't know how well it can perform on a 200P, but it should work fine I guess).

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but the reviews seem fairly positive given the price range, and they don't look/feel like cheapish lightweight pieces of plastic as the bundled eyepieces :)

Quick final note (not sure if it will apply to your case): more accurate collimation will drastically improve views even with the bundled eyepieces! :)

Clear Skies

Archived