Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Hi was wondering if someone could give me some idea if its worth getting this set, I currently have a Skywatcher Explorer 130P Supatrak with the stock 25mm, 10mm and 2x Barlow. Now the 25mm is OK but the Barlow and 10mm are pretty poor, I would like a cheapest set to start with and the replace the EP's when I can justify it to my wife :D

Here's the link to the set I've seen, any alternatives would be welcome I have a budget of £150-£200;

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't go for a kit personally. Chances are you won't use all of it which means part of your spend would be dead money. Try to figure out what you will use most then buy 2 EPs and a good barlow to double up those options. Example a 32mm, 15mm, and a good quality 1.5-2X barlow lens. Giving you 7.5,10, 15, 16, 24 and 32mm with only 4 more bits to lug about. A filter kit can be added too if needed.

Baz.

I wouldn't go for a kit personally. Chances are you won't use all of it which means part of your spend would be dead money. Try to figure out what you will use most then buy 2 EPs and a good barlow to double up those options. Example a 32mm, 15mm, and a good quality 1.5-2X barlow lens. Giving you 7.5,10, 15, 16, 24 and 32mm with only 4 more bits to lug about. A filter kit can be added too if needed.

Baz.

Eek, I get the feeling barlowing a 32mm Plossl wouldn't be a pleasant experience. Not unless you enjoy holding your head about a foot from the eyepiece :)

I do agree with his proposal tho, 2 decent plossls and a barlow will be fine. Keep the 25mm MA for now, it ain't that bad.

Go for 2 plossls around 12 and 18mm, that'll give you 6, 9, 10, 12 and 18 and 25.

Should keep you busy for a while...

Actually, I'd say get the kit. I bought it on eBay for about £80 and then bought a decent 2x TAL Barlow from flo to supplement it for use with my celestron 130eq. The ep's are respectable quality for the price, and the 33mm serves as my finder ep. Having the Barlow helps for planetary use, making the supplied 6mm work at 3mm with a minor loss in contrast, but that's expected with any Barlow.

Eek, I get the feeling barlowing a 32mm Plossl wouldn't be a pleasant experience. Not unless you enjoy holding your head about a foot from the eyepiece :)

I do agree with his proposal tho, 2 decent plossls and a barlow will be fine. Keep the 25mm MA for now, it ain't that bad.

Go for 2 plossls around 12 and 18mm, that'll give you 6, 9, 10, 12 and 18 and 25.

Should keep you busy for a while...

I agree, a good set up method have 12,18,25 and a 2x barlow does the trick, my only add on is to go for a good barlow

I have the kit and am very pleased with it. I read lots of advice as to which individual eyepieces were best and there were so many of them couldn't decide what to do. In the end I got this set as it gave me an eyepiece case and a selection of eyepieces, and barlow, which were significantly better than the ones I had. I don't use everything in the kit - yet - but they will last as long as I do so I expect I will eventually!

I like the eyepiece kits. They provide a range of EPs to try on different targets, under the varied viewing conditions we all have to deal with. It will soon become apparent which EPs you use the most, which can then be upgraded according to taste and budget.

I bought the kit not long after getting my first scope and was very happy with it. I've stuck with with the 32mm eyepiece particularly and it's only now that I have a fast (f/4.7) dob that I've had to find an alternative.

In my opinion they're a fairly good set of eyepieces for the money and the barlow is one of the better ones, too (still use that for imaging when the seeing won't support something more powerful). The moon filter I use occasionally. The coloured filters have probably never been out of the boxes. If you want a range of eyepieces to experiment with then it's hard to do better than this set.

That said, you can probably buy two better quality eyepieces for the same money or thereabouts, or a good quality barlow and a single eyepiece. If you have a clear idea of what you want and why or want a longer-term investment in eyepieces that you might keep as you upgrade scopes over the years then that may be the better route to take.

James

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about, to be honest I just want an improvement over the current EP's I have, and I've read many a posts on here advising to always look at upgrading you EP before taking the big plunge for a new scope with bigger aperture :D I will have a look and see if any singular EP's take my fancy, but as mentioned before there are soooo many to choose from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have had a couple of the Revelation Photo-visual EP's, the 30 and the 40mm, and found that they are fine visually, but disappointing with a DSLR on them. The camera fits OK but the fixing relies on one screw to tighten the fixing onto the EP barrel and that seems to skew the image train off to one side causing focus issues

Archived