Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB and Canon 450D

kirkster501

Hi already have a 1100d. I was going to get that modded.

However, I like to use that for day time photography as well.

So thinking of getting a dedicated astro AP camera and having it modded - there are some good ones on ebay. Will the 450d be controllable via USB from APT? I won't need a shutter cable or anything? I like the simplicity of the 1100d when connected to APT - just the one cable does the whole shebang. I'd still be able to do liveview to APT to check my focus etc?

Thanks for any input guys.

Rgds, Steve

The 1100D is best for AP. As I recall the 450D is an older model with the older image processor and only a quarter of the dynamic range.

Interesting Gina. In what way is it better then? I would get the 1100d modded if it were justified...... I like using it so far for my beginner AP attempts.

Be interested on folks opinions of the 450d though....

Interesting Gina. In what way is it better then? I would get the 1100d modded if it were justified...... I like using it so far for my beginner AP attempts.

Be interested on folks opinions of the 450d though....

I've just checked and the 450D uses the older Digic III processor. This has a higher noise level and 4096 brightness levels rather than the 16636 levels of the 1100D with Digic 4 processor. The lower noise and better dynamic range makes the 1100D quite a lot better for AP. Many people have managed great images with the older cameras but you need longer subs or more subs and may need two sets of data with different exposurer to cover the dynamic range of DSOs. Using an 1100D effectively gives you a step up on the ladder.

I've just checked and the 450D uses the older Digic III processor. This has a higher noise level and 4096 brightness levels rather than the 16636 levels of the 1100D with Digic 4 processor. The lower noise and better dynamic range makes the 1100D quite a lot better for AP. Many people have managed great images with the older cameras but you need longer subs or more subs and may need two sets of data with different exposurer to cover the dynamic range of DSOs. Using an 1100D effectively gives you a step up on the ladder.

I was under the impression that the 450D captured 14 bit too?

Archived