NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The observatory roof modification

centroid

In an earlier 'thread', I said that I needed to make an alteration to the observatory roof, as when the ED80 was 'piggy-backed' on top of the 12" LX200R, I could no longer roll the roof back, as it wouldn't clear the ED80.

The solution was to make a small door in the gable end. This hinges up, leaving an opening through which the ED80 now passes, when the roof is rolled back.

The two pics below, show the 'little door' in the closed and open positions.

Dave

post-13389-133877332172_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877332177_thumb.jpg

Hold on a mo. What's now holding the gable end up? If you chopped through the main "beam", didn't you just remove all the strength from it? Wouldn't like to see it fall at the wrong moment. :lol:

Kaptain Klevtsov

Aaahh!!, the secret is on the inside :D

With a section of the main 'cross brace' cut out in the centre, you are correct in thinking that this would have severely weakend the strength/rigidity of the gable end.

However, fear not, extra bracing has now been added right cross the gable, passing across the top of the new opening. Also an 1.25" x 1.25" framework was built around the new 'opening', onto which further horizontal and vertical bracing was built.

So, hopefully, all will be well :D

Dave

Archived