NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Alternative to Antares Barlow 2" 1.6x

Bender

I have the Antares Barlow 2" 1.6x and was wondering if there is a similar Barlow (1.5-1.8x) out there with compression ring.

Dont like the idea of purposely leaving marks on my eps in this day and age when everything comes with compression rings.

i wouldn't consider a 2" powermate due to size and weight.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much around to be honest. On the other side of the pond they seem to feel that the Proxima 1.5x 2" is the same optically and possibly (though there is some dispute on this) the Astro Physics Barcon could use the same optics but spaced differently.

I wish there were more options - the Antares 1.6x is a great barlow but does have those set screws.

A friend had the same problem with the Antares but the only alternative he could find at the time was the ubiquitous GSO 2" 2x ED barlow. It fulfilled the criteria of brass compression ring and reasonable optics. Plus could be used as a 1.5x barlow with the barlow element screwed into the eyepiece or camera adapter.

I've just sold one of the 2" Revelation ED barlows. It worked pretty well with my Nagler and Ethos eyepieces but was not as good optically as the Antares 1.6x 2", which is a really nice optic :smiley:

I also found the barrel of the Revelation rather too long to fit fully into a diagonal or drawtube, leaving around 10mm sticking out and losing around the same amount of inwards focus travel. The Antares is a true "shorty" format and can be fully inserted.

For it's price, the Revelation 2" ED is good though.

I think the plastic set screw replacement plan might be the best option for the Antares.

I got mine from Agena, was quick and easy, but I was hit with taxes and handling fees :(

I got mine on Astro Buy & Sell but my mate waited for ages and eventually went to Agena and got one sent from the States with no issues at all. He was lucky and was only charged a handling fee with no extra tax etc. The other good thing is it seems to be a slightly updated version than mine as It's threaded to accept 2" filters which is great. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

after narrowly missing Damo's, I dropped lucky with one myself through my wanted ad. as it happened a mate was just about to sell his :grin:

it's in the post to me and I'll be replacing the screws with nylon ones myself. interested to see how it will work mainly with my 26mm nagler (16mm and 113x TFOV 0.73 degrees) and possibly my 13mm Ethos (8mm and 230x TFOV 0.43 degrees)

In a way, this allows me to see if I can justify the future purchase (and long save-up) for a 17mm or 16mm Nagler. If I don't feel it's useful then it's not a big loss as I can always find a buyer for the barlow I bet for about what I paid. Online reports seem to suggest that this barlow works well with the 26mm T5.

It works really well with the 26mm Nagler, in fact it works well with anything I've tried in it, including Pentax XW's. I sort of regret having to let mine go, but an impulsive purchase a couple of weeks ago has left me selling a few bits and bobs to recoup some of the outlay :-(

It was soooo worth it though :-)

Archived