NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

corrosion on PST screws

I just picked up a PST that is little more than a year old. Looks good sofar, although i have to wait for the sun today for an final assesment.

One thing that surprised me was that all scews, the little ones on the PST body that hold the side plate, and the big ones from the mount, show signes of corrosion.

My questions are now, is this a common problem, woulod this have an effect on the PST (i think the body is alluminium so the corrosion shouldnt spread) and if i change them (is it ok to take the side plate from the PST body of ?), where would i best start to look for replacememts.

You would hope that at the price for the PST and the common availability of stainless fastners, this scenario should not appear. There is no problem removing the side plate, nothing jumps out, better screws should be available if you can match them up, if not, give them a going over with some steel wool or fine emery and repaint them. :smiley:

I thought that PST's have a 5 year guarantee?

I'm sure that if you opened it up / replaced screws you are going to invalidate this.

Don't want to be negative about this but manufacturers will use any excuse not to have to stand by the warranty.

Hmmm,

I found the "five year rule" only applies when you have all the original paperwork... receipts and original documentation....

I haven't checked if those screws are American threads or Metric....it would be worth checking and finding out......

Hmmm,

I found the "five year rule" only applies when you have all the original paperwork... receipts and original documentation....

I haven't checked if those screws are American threads or Metric....it would be worth checking and finding out......

The joys of threads of telescopes, my CPC has metric, UNC, UNF and Whitworth threads!!

If it is American then don't Roget that you have coarse (UNC) and fine versions (UNF) pitch versions of the same diameter threads

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived