NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

At last...starting to get the right EPs

Amazing night tonight! Was first light for a few EPs.

First was the 35mm Panoptic...one word...awesome. I have finally found the low power EP for me! After being very disappointed with the 32mm Panaview and seeing barely any improvement from the more expensive 31mm Hyperion I was losing faith. Couldn't afford a Nagler so went with a sh 35mm Panoptic. Best decision I ever made. It absolutely wipes the floor with the other two. Super crisp across most of the FOV. From the Moon to M45 to M31 to the Double Cluster it just blew me away. Can't recommend it enough. I can't get the view of the double cluster out of my head.

Next up was the 3-6mm Nagler zoom...how cool is this EP. Don't know why you would ever want anything else in that range. From the moon to Jupiter it just made viewing so much more fun and simple. In truth the mag didn't give me much more on Jupiter tonight but takes only a second to test...I wish I'd had it for Saturn.

Went for these EPs based on the recommendations from this forum and they have not disappointed.

Thank You.

Congratulations on two great eyepieces !

Tele Vue stuff is not cheap and you can understand why folks are wary but, as you have found out, they do deliver the goods :smiley:

I've had a sort of "on-off" relationship with the Nagler zoom over the years - I've owned 3 of the things only to sell them and then want them back again :rolleyes2:

They are an excellent eyepiece though and so versatile :smiley:

The 35mm panoptic is next on my list so nice to read someone raving about how good it is.

i looked through a couple of panoptics at SGL7 and the views were stunning.

may have to wait until after Xmas as I've just bought 2 ethos in the last couple of weeks second hand on the bay.

Congratualations on joining the flock. Televue are up there with the very best and at some of the F/Ls they are the best. The crazy thing is I have now change almost to total Televue and I want to add two more, the 21mm Ethos and a 4.5mm Delos and that will be about it. I still intend to keep my Meade 24mm and 30mm UWA as I don't use fast scopes, these are mainly in an F10 and soon to be F 8 RC.

The money I could have saved by waiting for fine S/H Televue to come up and buying them first is considerable. I had a full set of Super Plossl 5000 and a set of SWA 5000, I got just over a third of what I paid for them, the same is true of the UWA except I managed 50% of my outlay on the one I sold. I got that carried away I sold the eyepiece I used in my finder, now I am having to use a 24mm Panoptic, fantasic finder .

May be I will add a 3-6mm zoom to.

Alan.

Brantuk,

I am pleased you cleared that up I was thinking that Shane sold it because it was not up to handling the scopes speed, F4.5 is easy for a Panoptic, not that I have a scope that fast to try the 35mm in.

Now I have to use my 24mm Pan as a finder eyepiece, the finder (F4) has moved up a good few levels, now I can see the edges. The eyepiece it came with is rubbish, and it sells for 95 Euros on TS site, the prism is the same price I think and the same quality.

Alan.

the main reason I sold the 35mm Pan was exit pupil size. in my f4 it would have created an 8.75mm exit pupil which in my light polluted skies would have been poor. the 26mm Nagler produces 6.5mm which is bad enough but a happy middle ground and is wonderful at darker sites. I did need the cash to fund the Nagler though :grin:

"24mm Pan as a finder eyepiece"

Blimey Alan - that's flash lol :)

Lol @ Shane - I knew it wouldn't be long before you chirped up haha :) I'm glad you rate the Naglers though - I just got two of them this week and not tried them out yet (9mm and 16mm). I'm sure I've got a scope they'll fit somewhere..... :)

Lol @ Shane - I knew it wouldn't be long before you chirped up haha :) I'm glad you rate the Naglers though - I just got two of them this week and not tried them out yet (9mm and 16mm). I'm sure I've got a scope they'll fit somewhere..... :)

If the 9 and 16 are anything like the 20mm brantuk, they'll be great in your CPC :D

Brantuk and Dunkster

They are as good, 16 and 9, I hope you get some weather soon.

24mm Panoptic as a finder. What happened was I was so pleased to sell 3 of my Meade SWA to one member I clean forgot I used the 20 mm as a finder eyepiece in my Baader Vario. Which is not very good with the eyepiece it comes with, or the prism, so I put my own on. I wasn't trying to be flash but I guess that's how it looks.

Alan.

Archived