NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus: get it while you can!

I'm sure most of you know this but Venus is currently a nice sight in the morning before dawn (in the UK at least!) I hadn't set the scope up to take a look (my bed being a preferable option!) But looking at a handy app I have for my Nexus 7 tablet (Mobile Observatory is anyone is interested) Venus won't be visible again until November 2013!

So this is just a "wake up call" - if you've not seen venus yet, make sure you do while you can! :police:

(you have until end of December...)

There is something wrong with your app as its telling porkies, we loose Venus in the morning sky on February 23rd 2013 and regain it in the evening sky in early May 2013, it will then remain in the evening sky right through to January 2014. :grin: stick with stellarium.

I woke at 6am this morning because a phone was beeping due to low battery. I let the dog out and was greeted by Venus in the East. I knew i wasnt going to be able to get back to sleep, so i braved the cold and setup the scope and had a look. Ive never seen Venus before with an 8" scope, so that was a lovely early morning treat.

I woke at 6am this morning because a phone was beeping due to low battery. I let the dog out and was greeted by Venus in the East. I knew i wasnt going to be able to get back to sleep, so i braved the cold and setup the scope and had a look. Ive never seen Venus before with an 8" scope, so that was a lovely early morning treat.

I have a clear view of the western sky in the morning so I've been enjoying Jupiter. Waiting on Venus to make its way into my part of the sky.

Hmm. We have a difference of opinion about when Venus is up! I must admit to not knowing enough about stellarium to follow planets when they rise and where over the coming months. I'll check the facts and get back. A hasty email to the app developers may be required!

Hmm. We have a difference of opinion about when Venus is up! I must admit to not knowing enough about stellarium to follow planets when they rise and where over the coming months. I'll check the facts and get back. A hasty email to the app developers may be required!

It all depends on how clear your horizons are. I woke @ 6am and it was nice and high above the very tall trees at the end of my garden. I'm sure if the trees were not there and i woke earlier i might have seen it @5am.

It was just BIG and BRIGHT. I didnt even need to check any program to know what it was because there really was no mistaking it.

Top tip:

To tell the difference between a planet and a star......(when observed with the naked eye)

If it twinkles.............its a star.

Planets (in general) tend not to twinkle like stars. Or at least not anywhere near as much...............depending on local "seeing" conditions.

I had a similar thing happen to me. Woke up at 5am with lovely clear skies albeit a cold crisp night. Does anyone else find the best seeing conditions are in situations like this?

I had a similar thing happen to me. Woke up at 5am with lovely clear skies albeit a cold crisp night. Does anyone else find the best seeing conditions are in situations like this?

Oh yes. The best observing time/conditions in any season are the 2 hrs before sunrise. The reason for this is that the earth has given off as much heat as it will and the air is at its coolest temp and clearest. Its such an amazing time to observe. It is akin to a religious experience (if that is your thing).

LOVE IT.

Venus is rising in the early hours of the morning and it isn't until Spring time next year that the Sun will be overtaking its apparent orbit.

Venus is rising at the moment before the Sun (the sun is chasing Venus). In the spring............venus is chasing the setting sun and their positions are reversed.

Here is Venus in relation to the sun as of a couple of minutes ago:

post-5361-0-78068200-1351902310_thumb.jp

Venus is rising in the early hours of the morning and it isn't until Spring time next year that the Sun will be overtaking its apparent orbit.
Venus is rising at the moment before the Sun (the sun is chasing Venus). In the spring............venus is chasing the setting sun and their positions are reversed.

Ay :bino2:

Archived