Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mak-Cass lack of focus

A couple of days ago I bought a second-hand Skywatcher Skymax 127 Synscan that's only a few months old.

It looks in absolute mint condition. The optics look pristine, the synscan appears to work perfectly, and there's not a mark on it anywhere.

Typically, it's been cloudy since I bought it, so I tried looking at an electricity pylon yesterday just so I could get my finderscope lined up properly. (just an excuse to have a play with it really !!)

Looking through the finderscope, the top of the pylon looked nice and sharp, but when using the scope with a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece, I can't get it into focus properly (it's slightly worse with the 10mm)

I must point out, I was using the scope indoors, looking through the patio doors, and it was quite an overcast day.

Initially, I put the lack of focus down to the conditions, the fact I was viewing through a double glazed window, and the increase magnification.

Then I tried my 80mm short tube refractor with the same eyepieces to see if that gave the same results, and that seemed to give me a slightly sharper image.

My concern is, could there be a fault with my Skymax 127, or am I just being paroniod and worrying needlessly.

I'm desperately hoping for a break in the clouds so I can have a quick look at the moon, but there's no sign of any clear skies anytime soon, and I don't want to end up waiting a week or two wondering if I've wasted my money.

As always, any info / advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Kev

is the small focuer knob working at back of the scope ?? and also i think through window/lass door is always poor viewing condition

Yes, the focus appears to be working fine. The image changes from completely blurred, to sharper, then blurred again. It just won't come into focus properly.

I realise looking through double glazing isn't recommended, and I wouldn't consider doing so to look at stars / planets etc, but what's concerning me, is the fact my small short tube refractor seems to cope with identical conditions better.

Thanks for your reply.

Kev

How far was the pylon? Is it possible the pylon were too close? Astronomical telescopes aren't designed for close focus and it could range from tens to hundreds of meters.

The pylon is about 3/4 mile to 1 mile away. I understand what you're saying about astronomical telescopes not being designed for close focus, but it does seem to focus ok on objects 20 to 30 yards away !!

It was probably just the conditions / indoor use that's to blame, but I'm just after some reassurance !!

Cheers

Kev

If it doesn't get any better with better seeing conditions and/or outdoor viewing then it might be worth getting the collimation checked. It's never been an issue on my Skymax 127 but I had a similar problem on a Skymax 150 that I used to have. I had it re-aligned by my local dealer which completely solved the problem (cost me £35 mind).

If it doesn't get any better with better seeing conditions and/or outdoor viewing then it might be worth getting the collimation checked. It's never been an issue on my Skymax 127 but I had a similar problem on a Skymax 150 that I used to have. I had it re-aligned by my local dealer which completely solved the problem (cost me £35 mind).

As long as any problem there may be is fixable, then I don't mind. If it cost's in the region of £35 to get it working right, I still think I've got a good deal.

Thanks

Kev

Have to admit that I've never tried to focus on anything that close with mine. I'd definitely give it a go on the furthest thing you can find.

I quite often give my finderscope an initial alignment on objects as little as 30-40 yards away and focus is sharp right down at this distance. In fact it seems it would focus down even closer still.

I think you will find that viewing through the double glazing is the main problem. Your 80mm scope will be operating at a much lower magnification than the Mak and its smaller aperture will be less affected by the glass than that of the Mak.

To check the collimation. Level the Mak and stand a short distance on front off it. Looking down the barrel you should see a series of concentric rings. If these look miss aligned you need to think about collimation. Not that hard to do really or pay the £35

What Peter Drew said, the mak will be at higher mag and will suffer more, whay not put the Mak outside the glass and tray again.

It's raining (isn't it always in Manchester !!)

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm just worrying over nothing.

I've just managed to grab a quick 30 mins using my Skymax on the moon.

It was all very rushed, with no cool down time, and the moon was only just appearing over my neighbours house, so lot's of heat shimmer too.

In spite of all this, I got some lovely views of the moon using my favourite 32 mm eyepiece (bought from Astro-baby a couple of years ago - nice lady) and also a 10 mm eyepiece.

The telescope is obviously in perfect working order, and I was indeed worrying over nothing as everyone predicted.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Kev

Hmm - which 32mm was that ? Was it a Celestron or a Meade ? Orrrrrrrr is it the VIxen NPL ? The NPL was sweet...very contrasty and nice. I'd probably buy another if the price was right just for use on the Skymax 180.

Celestron. I bought the Eyeopener eyepiece and filter kit of you that you'd advertised on the Sky At Night sight. I think it was about 2 years ago, maybe 3.

Thanks again

Archived