Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST Explorer and BST Wide Angle

Hi.

I'm a newbe and want to buy a better EP than the onces that came with the scope. Sky's the limit have BST Explorer and BST Wide Angle, but what is the difference? Explorer seems to have 60 degree and the Wide Angle seems to have 58 degree FOV, so there they a quite equal.

BST Explorer / Starguider are very good EPs, and very good value.

BST Wide Angle 1.25" eyepieces used to be called "TMB Design", but were changed over the TMB Controversy, they are still good EPs, and offer comfortable eye relief for the price of a good plossl, but the controversy with them has meant many people won't use them.

HTH

I have the BST and they are very good for the money, I doubt you would notice the difference in apparent FOV between the two, I dare say that the "actual FOV" will most likely be the same anyway. I think the real difference would most likely be in the eye relief, All i can say about that though is that the BST as good eye relief but i cant say with the wide. :laugh:

Thanks Naemeth, I hadn't looked at the spec on them, Its good to know though, looks like the wide are definitely a good buy too then, that's a generous eye relief too and there 6 element, I can honestly say i have no idea what the real difference is, I suppose if his interest lies in cluster and such then i guess the wide would be the ones to go for, but that would also depend on the scope and aperture he as. :smiley:

Thanks for all replies and sharing your knowledge.

I have bought a Skywatcher 1145P for me and my kids. I didn't want to buy a more expensive scope until i knew that the interest would last. But when we looked at Jupiter last night we fell in the beginners trap and want higher magnification, and also we couldn't get as much details that we wanted. A 10mm EP was supplied with the scope, and now I am looking for a 6mm for planet observation. The Explorer/Starguider is 5mm or 8mm and I guess that 5mm is to small for our scope. £50 is the limit and I want the most for the money. :smiley:

(Stupid question, is BST = Baader ?)

Hmmm.. now when I think about it again, the scope i 500mm, and with a 5mm EP it will be x100 magnification, right? And with the supplied x2 barlow it will be x200 magnification. Since the specs on the scope says maximum magnification is x228. So a 5mm EP would work ?

Thanks for all replies and sharing your knowledge.

I have bought a Skywatcher 1145P for me and my kids. I didn't want to buy a more expensive scope until i knew that the interest would last. But when we looked at Jupiter last night we fell in the beginners trap and want higher magnification, and also we couldn't get as much details that we wanted. A 10mm EP was supplied with the scope, and now I am looking for a 6mm for planet observation. The Explorer/Starguider is 5mm or 8mm and I guess that 5mm is to small for our scope. £50 is the limit and I want the most for the money. :smiley:

(Stupid question, is BST = Baader ?)

no . the particular eyepiece is rebranded by several suppliers,but alan's (starguiders and formerly bst explorer) seem far cheaper than others. other names attached to that eyepiece are olivon, ts, and paradigm. some are sold at £80+ . you can pick up bst's s/h for around £30.

Firstly in sure BST`s are not connected to Baader in any way

If you got the 5mm i think you would be a little disappointed, using it in your scope, you would only be able to use it on nights of very good seeing conditions

Hmmm.. now when I think about it again, the scope i 500mm, and with a 5mm EP it will be x100 magnification, right? And with the supplied x2 barlow it will be x200 magnification. Since the specs on the scope says maximum magnification is x228. So a 5mm EP would work ?

or you could get a 12mm starguider which is a nice eyepiece and use it as a 6mm with the x2 barlow .

I have the BST 5mm and with my scope (fl1200) with the 5mm gets 240x mag (1200/5)

I have very rarely used it as the mag is just too much to be of any use.

You will do well with the 8mm (which i also have) and dont be tempted to fork out on the 5mm - you will be disapointed.

chris

Bst bst bst , Blimey I think my phones been putting this in every thread . Comfy to look through and a fair price I feel ( and no I don't get commission ) but I think it was mentioned in another thread that the 8mm are out of stock at mo from skies the limit bit more due mid nov ...

They are fantastic EP's. Look at my thread comparing them to my Televues in the Eyepieces section. On my F10 11' SCT I am hard pressed to tell the difference between them personally, they are that good. Sure, the TV's are better in faster scopes.

Bst bst bst , Blimey I think my phones been putting this in every thread . Comfy to look through and a fair price I feel ( and no I don't get commission ) but I think it was mentioned in another thread that the 8mm are out of stock at mo from skies the limit bit more due mid nov ...

Yes they where out of stock (8mm), but new ones are due to arrive in 2 wweks time.

Archived