Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR camera for my scope

Hullo to you all,

I have a Synscan Explorer 130p GOTO a-z Telescope.(2" eyepiece)

Being a Newbie I would appreciate some advce on a suitable DSLR camera.

Taking pictures of planets is my interest. Maybe some Astro pictures as well although I do not think this is possible with my equipment.

I have about £350 available and I thought a Nikon D3100 DSLR would be OK. ( Also a nice Xmas present for the wife)

Please advise the accessories I would need, T pieces etc.

Thanking you all in advance.

Alan

Hi Alan and welcome.

If your interest is in planetary (which would match you mount type - alt az) then I would suggest webcam imaging. A lot of people use a philips SPC camera (if you can get hold of one)

The Nikon D3100 is a very capable DSLR but for astro work Canon's are better supported in terms of software etc.

To connect to your scope you are correct you need a T adapter and relevant T thread for your chosen DSLR.

There is nothing wrong with the Nikon, however, as have been noted, the Canon has software support, and lots of users here that can help you out with any questions you have regard Canon.

So go with the Canon unless you're biased like me, or have any other reasons to go Nikon.

canon is definitely the choice for most of us doing AP. But planetary i would suugest webcam. Also you have alt/az mount, for DSO's EQ mount would be better and make things easier. But for planetary web cam.

I have canon 40D modded as this what a camera i already owned so was the cheaper option. It performs very well.

velvdet

You have an az mount which would not work for long exposure photography as you will get field rotation (the view rotates as the scope tracks) and you won't get the tracking accuracy from such a light mount anyway - sorry to be blunt but its best you don't spend money on a system that won't work.

Planetary (as well as Lunar) is quite within the capabilities of your set-up and for that you will need a webcam (if you can find one as the favoured SPC900 type is rare - and often comes up at around £60-80 or more) or a dedicated astro "movie" camera - these can be bought for around £270 for a colour camera like: http://www.firstligh...4as-colour.html or other similar types. (Before everyone rushes in and says you should get a mono camera and filters - remember that these and all the bits needed will cost far more than the camera and may well not allow you to get focus on your telescope!).

Thank you one and all for your prompt replies to my query.

I have taken your info on board and I will investigate further.

I did have a Canon 35mm years ago but it went pear shaped and was unrepairable so I am still a little biased.

I am waiting for my "observatory" to be built which will be a 7'x4' bike shed complete with all mod con!

Also I have to have a tree cut down to improve my seeing so all in all I am looking forward to clear nights in the not too distant future.

Best wishes to you and thank you for your advices.

This is certainly an excellent site.

Alan

Hullo again

Not withstanding my earlier remarks the Canon EOS 1100D (£345) seems to fit the bill Ok.

Anyone out there had experience of this camera with a Synscan Explorer 130p GOTO a-z telescope (2" eyepiece)?

Thank you in advance.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Me again,

Having just watched an excellent video on Skywatcher videos where it shows how to connect a DSLR camera to a 2" Mount for prime focus by removing the eyepiece, then removing flange of eye piece and finally attaching flange to camera, this seems the way to go for me at the moment.

Question. Can someone confirm that the thread on the flange will fit a Canon EOS 1100D Camera

It seems a silly enquiry but the video did not make this point very clear to me.

I have taken on board all your remarks concerning WebCams which I will pursue at a later date. Thank you for your advice.

Alan

It would also be worth checking that a camera will indeed be able to reach focus with your scope. I know some of the 130mm scopes can't do this, but I can never remember which.

I'd agree that you'll really struggle to do DSO imaging because of the alt-az mount. You'll get star trails in your images very quickly and certainly before you get enough exposure time for most DSOs. The one thing a DSLR might be good for is full disc lunar imaging. For planetary and close-up lunar imaging a webcam would almost certainly be far better. For DSO imaging I think you really have to go for a different mount.

James

Me again,

Having just watched an excellent video on Skywatcher videos where it shows how to connect a DSLR camera to a 2" Mount for prime focus by removing the eyepiece, then removing flange of eye piece and finally attaching flange to camera, this seems the way to go for me at the moment.

Question. Can someone confirm that the thread on the flange will fit a Canon EOS 1100D Camera

It seems a silly enquiry but the video did not make this point very clear to me.

I have taken on board all your remarks concerning WebCams which I will pursue at a later date. Thank you for your advice.

Alan

The thread fits onto the T Ring which has the same fitting as a lens to attach to the camera, it will fit to an EOS t-ring as this is what I do with my EOS650D to the focuser on the 300p. So you will need something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photo-Plus-Canon-Mount-Adapter/dp/B009657CC4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1352320003&sr=8-7

Me again,

Thank you JamesF and ItisOnlyMe for your prompt replies.

I have ordered the adapter today, due 17th November to December 10th from Amazon.

Regarding focusing, the video mentioned by me earlier suggested that this will be possible with a prime focus mount. We shall see.

However, I still need a new camera anyway, so I will proceed and will let you know how things go!

Alan

Archived