Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flocked my tube

lhuchison

I flocked my SW200p last night , a full tube strip down , complete flocking and rebuild . 3 hours! Seeing it in pieces especially the primary mirror on my lounge table was quite a sight but it makes you see how it all works and fits together.

Bit of a tip, leave 1 centimetre clear of the primary mirror end of the tube as i spent 1 hour struggling to re-fit the mirror and it was impossible! i had to cut the centimetre strip, then went on easy.

I used the strip method, laying 4in strips to counteract the expansion etc of the tube which will pull the stuff off over time. I didnt fancy scoring it with a knife.

Its now black as anything down the tube and i cant wait till tonight as the forecast is clear but cold. I'll post again with the results, if any,of this mod.

Hope you all get clear skies tonight.

Leon post-22122-0-83672400-1351357368_thumb.jpost-22122-0-12818400-1351357386_thumb.jpost-22122-0-35835700-1351357404_thumb.j

It is a scary moment when your beloved scope sits in pieces in front of you. But as a great believer in taking things apart, it has to be done. And it's only scary once.

I think newts are the hardest as everything has to come out to do a proper job.

I fitted my C9.25 with Wilkos supplied Velour flocking paper last weekend. The corrector plate needed to come off anyway to be cleaned so I thought 'why not'.

20 minutes start to finish. Much faster than newts I've done.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Does Flocking really make much difference?.. :icon_scratch:

Good question. I have the adhesive flocking paper and plan to do it. Dont plan on stripping everything out though. Just sticking it around everything, neatly, of course.

Barry

Does Flocking really make much difference?.. :icon_scratch:

I've flocked my 10" F/4.8 Orion Optics newtonian. Not the whole tube, just the sections that make a difference - a large section of the tube opposite the focuser and all around the tube walls for 12" inches above the primary. I've also blackened the edges of the secondary mirror - and anything else inside the tube that can be seen through the focuser.

I've used the scope a number of times since I've done the above and I've yet to see a noticeable difference !

But it did not cost much so maybe it's a "peace of mind thing" !

Archived