Any tips on viewing NGC7000?

Hi guys,

Well, as the title suggests, has anyone got any hints or tips on how to view this object? I know I'm looking at the right area (my cheating goto helps for that!), I have an OIII filter in, glare from street light blocked out, it's high up near the zenith, but I still can't make anything out of this nebula what so ever.

According to everything I have read it is mag 4, so should be visible somehow with my 11" scope, but I just can't see it. I have tried innumerable times :(

I have the same problem trying to view the heart and soul nebulas, I can't even see a hint of them.

Generally the light pollution where I live isn't too bad, as I can make out up to about 12.5 mag galaxies on a good seeing night. I have a plate fixed to the back of the streetlight at the side of the house by the council to stop any stray light coming into the garden and live only a few streets away from generally open countryside (Os grid ref: SK355785).

But nothing :confused:

Is anyone able to suggest anything (I'm guessing not, but it can't hurt to ask!)

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

NGC7000 (the North American nebula) is a true big faint fuzzy. It's enormous with low surface brightness. Chances are your 11" SCT is looking straight through it without you even noticing. It's so big it can easily be seen by holding an O-III filter up to the unaided eye at a dark sky site.

My tip for you is forget the scope, and have a go with bins first. If you can get some big bins 15x70 or a RFT better still. The small FOV of a big SCT is of no help here.

It is not an easy target from any sky with LP

I first spotted NGC 7000 with my older 15x70 bins from a very dark site in France (no filter needed). The main reason I had not seen it before is that it is many times larger than the full moon. The 4.4 deg FOV of the 15x70 just about frames it. The best view I have ever had of it was with my 80mm F/6 at 12x mag with 5.76 deg FOV and UHC filter. Stunning!! I even could see the Pelican. My C8 is totally unsuitable to observe this.

It is not the most difficult of DSOs (the California Nebula and Flaming Star Nebula were harder), but certainly a challenge.

Ahhh, that explains things!

That's great, many thanks for your help guys. I'll get the binoculars out tonight (weather permitting!).

I might try out of interest looking through the scope with my new F6.3 focal reducer too.

I also have an f3.3 reducer, iI might try using both at once to see what happens! :lol:

Ahhh, that explains things!

That's great, many thanks for your help guys. I'll get the binoculars out tonight (weather permitting!).

I might try out of interest looking through the scope with my new F6.3 focal reducer too.

I also have an f3.3 reducer, iI might try using both at once to see what happens! :lol:

Using a reducer does not extend the true FOV (that is determined by the rear aperture of the scope, along with the focal length), it just reduces image scale. The F/3.3 reducer is only useful for small ccds, not for visual.

It took me years to see the NA Nebula. As suggested above I was looking straight through it with my scopes. Eventually I spotted some of it's outline with 15x70 binoculars and now I can follow some of it's shape with my 102mm F/6.4 refractor with my lowest power eyepiece and an O-III filter. That gives me a 3.9 degree true field and even thats not large enough for this object !

Another tip: look for dark patches first, not light. I have found that in many very diffuse nebulae, especially in crowded areas of the milky way, it is easier to spot dust lanes, etc, than spotting the edges of the nebula itself. The dark "Gulf of Mexico" is probably the feature that stands out most clearly. Once you have spotted that, the rest sort of snaps into view.

Took me years as well. I can sense the shape of it naked eye but then I tend to lose the plot! I couldn't get it to 'click' as a shape in any optical aid. Then this year I had a great view of the Wall in the big Dob and once I'd got it I could trace out the key outlines. I've some top quality 8X42 bins coming so this will be one of the projects.

A dark site is everything, that's dead certain.

Olly

Archived