NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First view with my telescope

Beeford Mick

WOW had my first view of the Moon. Still very cloudy out side but we got a little gap and even though a bit of cloud was still over the moon, my son and I got a few mins view. Used a 25mm eyepiece and 900mm fl If it was that good with cloud cant wait till we get clear night. I think i will complain to the council Ha Ha.

Congrats Mick - you have a lot more "first times" to come - wait till you see saturn, jupiter, orion nebula, M13 globular, andromeda galaxy, double cluster, alberio, etc etc (I could go on for ever lol) - loads of breathtaking moments :)

WOW had my first view of the Moon. Still very cloudy out side but we got a little gap and even though a bit of cloud was still over the moon, my son and I got a few mins view. Used a 25mm eyepiece and 900mm fl If it was that good with cloud cant wait till we get clear night. I think i will complain to the council Ha Ha.

Just a little thing to add guys i am still trying to get used to the forun and how to get arround forgive me if I miss anything.

The Moon rocks. I can get lost on it for hours (when clear). Look forward to hearing about your other firsts in astronomy. I start off low powered and up the mag slowly. Some of my best wow moments have come from moon viewing. It never fails to amaze me. Well done, hope you get clear skies soon.

Paul.

It's actually visible in the east from the middle of November but it's early morning. It won't be until April 2013 when it's visible at its best at reasonable times of the evening!

Damn you, celestial mechanics!

Congratulations Mick (+ Mark) on your first views of jupiter - it can only get better! Many astronomers are often frustrated by the moon's brightness when searching for DSO targets but I think the moon is itself such a great subject to view. I would recommend reading Patrick Moore's 'Moonwatch' articles in the Sky@Night magazine for explanations on surface features of interest. In case anyone hasn't seen a piece of interactive software called 'Nearside Spectacular', it is certainly worth a closer look as the photographic moon map allows you to zoom in and if used with Patrick's article mentioned above, it can really help you rehearse finding those features on the real thing - you can view it here.

James

Archived