Largest aperture on NEQ6 PRO?

So, how big can you can with the OTA on the best EQ mount before you've got to use a dob? I prefer using RA Dec than Alt-Az, but I appreciate that there comes a time when you can't put a massive OTA on an EQ, no matter how sturdy the mount...

The reason I ask is, I want, in the fullness of time and with enough cash saved, to have both a visual set up and an AP set up. I was thinking it would be nice to go up 2 levels on my current 6" newt to cure the aperture fever (temporarily), which would mean something like the SW 250P DS. I could either go for the dob version at £445 or, if possible, get the OTA for £409 and stick it on the NEQ6 PRO at £960, which I will already have bought for the SW Evo 80ED Pro that I'll need to make a start on AP. :grin:

The main problem I can see is that it might be easier to find a buyer for a 10" OTA if it comes on a dob mount, when the inevitable aperture fever strikes again! :grin:

Coming from a beginners perspective: It depends on weight. I could see myself going very big with a truss newtonian on my NEQ6. I seem to remember the NEQ6 being rated for atleast 19kg. However, if you put up a large sail of a telescope, you will see it rocking a lot in everything but the calmest wind conditions.

A guess would be that you could probably find a light 12". But a 10" like the 250pds should be no problem what so ever, even with extras.

That is the NEQ6 head bolted on to a 6" dia pier, bolted to 1 cubic metre of concrete in the floor of my observatory. The pier was about £450

Nigel

You have an observatory as well! :icon_salut:

Now that's a challenge - and I mean convincing the better half! :icon_biggrin:

I was thinking more 10" newt to be fair. I think if I ever go bigger than 300mm it will be a dob-mounted flex-tube for sure!

Anyway, I'm happy with my "little" 150PL for now. I can easily see M57 at 48x mag thanks to the dark skies visible from my garden, so no rush! :)

I also intend to spend some quality time getting to know the good people at my friendly neighbourhood AS before buying anymore 'scopes...

If you are wanting a huge EQ mounted newt, then an obsy is a must. There is no way your going to set up a 12" newt on an EQ every night you observe. The novelty would wear off extremely quickly indeed.

This is so true, my hobby really kicked off for the better once I built an Obsy.

Now it is just a case of pulling off the roof and switching everything on, then if the clouds roll over then it's so easy to pack up or wait it out a little.

Go on, get building, lol

Archived