Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best site for used equipment

Hi Chaps, I haven't been on SGL for ages and it seems as though the section for secondhand equipment for sale has gone. Has it just moved somewhere difficult to find? If not, where is the best place other than ebay to find used equipment now? Thanks.

The Classifieds are still there, you need 50 post to view and 250 to place an advert. Just a warning, spammimg the boards to up your post count is frowned upon by Admin, posts can go down as well as up. There is an indipendant site worth a look http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?minprice=0&maxprice=10E15&cur_page=0&sort=id+DESC

Astrobuysell is OK if you are in the UK - it rejects IP adresses that are not UK. I can get on it using the UK connection, and hence proxy IP of my VPN, which I need to use BBC iPlayer.

I believe you can thank spammers and con artists for that :(

The few spoil it for the many.

Andy.

Hi Chaps, I haven't been on SGL for ages and it seems as though the section for secondhand equipment for sale has gone. Has it just moved somewhere difficult to find? If not, where is the best place other than ebay to find used equipment now? Thanks.

I have bought some 2nd hand stuff from the US, both from Astromart and the Classifieds section at cloudynights.com

Astromart charges a fee for new accounts. It is currently $15. Personally I thought it was well worth it.

A bit steep just to join, IMHO.

That depends on what you are looking for. If you looking to buy a Plossl for £10 - £15 it's obviously not worth it. I have bought 3 eyepieces ranging from $50 to $70, a barlow for $60 and a finder scope for $70. All of these would have cost me probably twice as much if I had bought them new here in Sweden, and that is including the shipping + taxes. So for me the investment was well worth it. Also, I may be fooling myself but I think the risk of being ripped off is less than on other, "open", classifieds sites.

Many Cloudynights and Astromart sellers won't ship outside the USA. I've bought and sold a few items from those that will ship overseas and the transactions have gone well but you have to allow for the import duty and handling fees for stuff coming into the EU. You may not get charged this but I have on most of the items I've bought from the USA and that took the prices to close to the used prices here.

Many Cloudynights and Astromart sellers won't ship outside the USA. I've bought and sold a few items from those that will ship overseas and the transactions have gone well but you have to allow for the import duty and handling fees for stuff coming into the EU. You may not get charged this but I have on most of the items I've bought from the USA and that took the prices to close to the used prices here.

Yes, I guess for you guys in the UK the market is big enough that you can find most of what you are looking for within the UK borders. Sweden is so much smaller, population wise, so it really is difficult to find any used equipment here. And sure, I can buy second hand stuff from the UK, but I would still have to deal with the shipping charges. And yes, you are right, many sellers on the US sites will not ship outside the USA.

And yes, you are right, many sellers on the US sites will not ship outside the USA.

Their own home market is so big that many Americans wouldn´t even consider doing that - most of them aren´t even aware of any countries outside the US.

Archived