Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dealing with pesky streetlight

long_arms

I am a newbie astronomy and currently sporting a 200p on a heq5 mount.

On the rare clear nights I've had recently I have been able to spot some dso's (when my telrad comes ill hopefully aim for some more) however a streetlight on a road nearby is ruining my experience.

In Basingstoke they have fitted the new white light streetlights.

I don't feel it affecting the views through the telescope that much, on a clear night the light pollution appears surprisingly low where I am, however it is ruining my night vision as I can't help but glance over there.

I have decided to contact the council/county council and have them deal with it. My dad has informed me (ex council employee) that they can fit a light shield or can manually dim it.

I was just wondering if anyone has successfully got their local authority to do this before?

Thanks Dan

I would be interested in the councils answer, as I too have a new lamp overlooking my garden. Its almost like daylight in my garden. I put up a fishing umberella to shield the camera lens and my eyes. It helps keep the light away from the lens, but its not ideal.

I've failed miserably on the occasions I have tried to get Milton Keynes Council to shield the light that is about 3m from my observing spot.

They did paint the back side of the glass cover grey (twice) but it makes no practical difference when the light is on.

I'm due to have another go at them this winter.

What you should look for is Environmental Health.

Hello.

Right well its sounding positive!

Allcart the streetlighting in basingrad is controlled by sse with hampshire county council.

I went on this link and found the offending streetlights: http://www.lightsoninhampshire.co.uk/Public/ReportFault.aspx (Drag around, zoom in on the map and you will see the streetlights around your house)

I then rang the number given after clicking on the particular lights and spoke to a very helpful lady.

I'm going to hear back within 5 days from their team but she seemed sure they will be able to do something for me which is great! :) (Either turning them off after a certain time/dimming/or a light shield)

Everyone else should find the streetlighting section of their local council and do this as well!!!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Like you I've got pretty low overall LP but one sodium streetlight is right in my face. My temporary cure is another washing line with some blackout cloth hanging on it. Seems to work. My first reaction was "Ma, get the shotgun" :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Update on the situation:

The council very promptly fitted light shields to the streetlights I requested!

It has certainly improved things although as one streetlight is at an angle to my house the side of the light is the main contributor of the glare and the light shield at the front doesnt reduce this.

I am going to contact them again and see if they can do anything to combat this.

Last night my telescope dewed up very quickly so the observing session was cut short although it was such a beautiful clear night. The milky way was incredible! And I could easily see Andromeda with the naked eye.

So whilst I am getting streetlights dealt with I am still very grateful to live in a place which is not too bad light pollution wise.

Dan

Archived