NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fordos attempts dumbest question of the month award...

I can't resolve something in my head about eyepieces. I am reading every source I can find, being new to this game and a couple talk of making sure you eyepieces have eye cups to help visibility in areas of localised light. My question is, what are these eyecups? The eyepieces that came with my scope are pretty flat, with the glass pretty much touching my eye when I look through it with nothing shielding light coming in to my eye sideways? Have I won that award?!

There are no bumb questions, only dumb answers :smiley:

Some eyepieces have a strip of rubber around them, lift this up and flick it back and you have an eyecup. Others have a twist-out eyecup, simply unscrew the top of the eyepiece and it extends into an eyecup. Some don't have either.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Eyecups are used to fix a distance between the eye and the lens of the eyepiece (known as eye relief) so the eyecups are rolled / twisted UP to achieve this. If you wear glasses while observing you keep the eyecups DOWN as the distance between the eye and the glasses provide adequate eye relief.

HTH!

Thanks guys for the other posts and pics, pretty sure mine don't have them now I've seen the photos.

Hey man, if you're talking about the 10mm and 25mm EP's that come with the Skyliner 200p, they probably do. I have that scope and mine have, albeit shallow,rubber eyecups. Take the protective cover off the viewing end of the EP and you should see the rubber eyecup folded down over the edge of the EP,. Just pull the rubber up and you should have an eyecup. At least, thats how it is on mine.

Good luck!!!

I think I asked the same question a while back, so if it's a dumb one, you're certainly not alone!

My Plossls came with no cups so I got one with a side piece that does help with that annoying streetlight. Sorry, really can't remember where I got it from. I do remember the cup itself was not a bad price but the postage was a bit heavy :shocked:

EyepiececupSmall.jpg

LesterG I am laughing at myself now. I did wonder what the rubber screwy bit was all about any now I know! Just checked them and exactly what you said, can't wait for clear skies again now it's going to be so much better! Thanks sir!

LesterG I am laughing at myself now. I did wonder what the rubber screwy bit was all about any now I know! Just checked them and exactly what you said, can't wait for clear skies again now it's going to be so much better! Thanks sir!

No problem, Fordos, laughter is a good thing. Glad I could help:)

doing stupid things is a great way to remember not to do them in the future! we have all done it. left a cap on, left a filter in, left a tripod leg at home, let the focuser end of the dob drop and dent the tube when removing the primary mirror......obviously I have, ahem, never done any of those things.

doing stupid things is a great way to remember not to do them in the future! we have all done it. left a cap on, left a filter in, left a tripod leg at home, let the focuser end of the dob drop and dent the tube when removing the primary mirror......obviously I have, ahem, never done any of those things.

I couldn't possibly admit to spending 5 minutes worrying about my camera recently only to find I'd left my telescope end-cap on...

Is it not 42?

That would be the answer. But to understand the answer, ou must first know what the question is ;)

The OP made me check my eyepieces in case I had missed something, but there's no fold up rubber to be found.

Oh, and I too am a firm believer that there are no stupid questions...

I was out one night soon after I had bought my scope, having just gone through the trauma of first-time collimation. I was sure I had followed the instructions to the letter - but now the image in my eyepiece was just all wrong! Something was causing some big aberrations right across the field of view!!

After checking for dew, checking the eye-pieces and mirrors for dirt etc., I was stumped. Everything on the scope looked fine.

Then it dawned on me - the 'scope pointed at Venus low in the West - so low in fact that twigs & leaves of the Lime tree in a neighbours garden were directly between the scope and Venus... D'oh!!

So, a little rule of thumb - however dumb you think you've just been, it's guaranteed that someone, somewhere is out-dumbing you :D

I was out one night soon after I had bought my scope, having just gone through the trauma of first-time collimation. I was sure I had followed the instructions to the letter - but now the image in my eyepiece was just all wrong! Something was causing some big aberrations right across the field of view!!

After checking for dew, checking the eye-pieces and mirrors for dirt etc., I was stumped. Everything on the scope looked fine.

Then it dawned on me - the 'scope pointed at Venus low in the West - so low in fact that twigs & leaves of the Lime tree in a neighbours garden were directly between the scope and Venus... D'oh!!

So, a little rule of thumb - however dumb you think you've just been, it's guaranteed that someone, somewhere is out-dumbing you :D

I Did the exact same thing :tongue: !!

I'm just saving up for a Howitzer to take care of next doors damn tree so it doesn't happen again !!

Archived