Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy first sketch targets?

Quite a lot of observers like to try their hand at sketching the craters on the Moon. There is a long running series at present in the S@Nmag written by Carol Lakomiak, who was once a very active member of this forum. You may also find the book " Observing the Deep Sky " by Darren Bushnall, extremely useful, as it covers all aspects of sketching in quite some depth, will set you back some 10P with postage to pay. probably be your cheapest Astro purchase to date, but well worth it IMHO :)

John.

My plan was, not to sketch anything live, but instead, go for a couple of pictures first, and see if I could make my sketches like the pictures, or should I just go for my first opportunity straight when I get the chance?

At night, I'm not bothered tracking down Messier's list, preferring to work on constellations and their hidden gems. So, I like plotting general star fields, open clusters, doubles, and if they're interestingly possible, nebulae and globulars - although sometimes with my small aperture - unless the DSO has some distinctive feature that I can tweak out - it sometimes seems a bit pointless drawing just another grey smudge.

If I'm plotting a given star field (clusters etc), I have found the best plan is to draw a circle and divide it into both cross and circular sections, so you end up with something looking like a dart's board. From this it is easier to plot where you're seeing the stars. If you're doing something a tad complicated like the double-double north of Perseus, a sheet of tracing or cooking paper over the top will be handy to flip back and forth and note down the position of the 'stronger' stars and their colour. I have found the most effective way of drawing stars is with an ink pen which is easier to see in the dark.

Nebulae are generally sketched with a blending pencil and globulars with a 4b and stippling effect (repeatedly tapping the tip of the pencil).

The sun is also great to sketch. Draw a circle and shade the solar limb with your blending stub to give a sweet spherical look. Then plot the umbra and penumbra with different pencils, say, a 2b for umbrae and a light touch with a b or just the blending tool for the penumbrae, faculae can be added with a yellow pencil.

Jupiter, Saturn and Venus are great fun to observe and sketch, but I prefer drawing what I see in the eyepiece, so if it looks like a big pea, I draw it like a big pea.

The moon looks very complicated at the eyepiece and in my mind looks like the perfect target to practice with if you're in your study room. You can get a picture or photo and try drawing one of its features. I have simply found the moon beyond my ability to draw at speed, for the shadows just move way too fast and everything changes too quickly.

I'd say give sketching a shot. It helps relax the body and open the mind and eye to what you are seeing. You need to pace yourself, but also take your time. I personally find it more satisfying to get one decent sketch down, than to have spotted some number of listed wonders of the universe.

i find globs quite good to try and sketch, although you wouldnt think so after seeing my efforts :tongue: .

fainter galaxies are nothing more than grey smears,so if the surrounding field stars can be placed quite accuratly then the sketch make good references.

My plan was, not to sketch anything live, but instead, go for a couple of pictures first, and see if I could make my sketches like the pictures, or should I just go for my first opportunity straight when I get the chance?

Just go for it under the stars! Take your time and dont rush.

Im sure ive seen piosts on here of soeone drawing in a black notepad, chalkboard? Idk, be good to know though..

Take a look at this Matt, sketching with pastels is really quite easy. :)

Archived