Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second DSO - M92

Rustmonkey

My second attempt at bagging a DSO.

Thought I'd have a go at M92 Globular Cluster. quite a successful night really as I was unguided and managed to get 60 second exposures without any obvious star trailing so I was happy with that.

biggest issue wasn't Stacking which actually looked ok. It was in Photoshop which really darkened the image making it hard for me to process but I think I did a reasonable job in the end.

Tips and advice welcome.

M92GlobularSML.png

OK advice coming up... Firstly I'll say - it's a good go - the stars look nice and round. I think your problem is in the processing. It looks as if the blacks have been clipped. Make sure the 3 colour histograms don't go past the origin - you can check this in Levels. Each colour should have all but a few odd nicks to the right of the axis. You'll see a curve then a sharp rise towards the peak - keep the left-most curve just away from the axis for each colour channel. Once you get that right I would take a look at the colour balance - the colour is rather reddish-brown. Hope that helps.

definately, Thnx...i did make a real effort not to clip it. Problem I have is that with a single sub i get a better image. i put this through DSS and it looked ok but once in PS it was so dark and red. i really struggled to pull the image out.

this is a single shot 60 sec exposure which I actually think as come out better?

M92-111012.jpg

Nice star shapes no trailing well done.As well as the above advice you can manualy align the rgb channels in DSS(after stacking) by moving the sliders for each channel till each colour is placed on top of one another then click apply.if its coming out to dark in PS try moving the rgb channels a little bit further to the right in DSS.You can also adjust luminosity here as well.I normally set it to about 17.I could be well of the mark here but could be worth a go

Hi the only advice is more subs if possible weather permitting, but you have the start of something good, as the other guys have said

your stars look good, best thing to do is exsperiment in DSS untillyou are happy, there are some very good pointers on how to

use DSS on the forums here.

well done

Paul

Looking at your sub you have enough data there to get a really nice image processing is the hard bit if your struggling with ps processing check out my tuts on my channel boodlewoodle and also the imaging section of the forums where there are links to tons of ps tuts. Great start and looks like your well on your way to becoming another victim of astrophotographyiritucussmuchacus there is no know cure.

Archived