NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st Jupiters + 1st Attempt animation 09.10.12.

KE400

Hi Folks

I finally managed to get my new set up out the other night. The seeing was pretty bad but managed to get these. I've also had a 1st attempt at an animation too. I know it needs lots more work with making each frame even but quite happy with the results for a 1st attempt. I've been really frustrated with not being able to process even sharp images as they all seem to have a grainy effect which I'm maybe thinking could be down to the DFK but any suggestions, comments, help but be great. I think the moon is Io but not too sure.

Images taken with Edge 1100 + DFK21. Processed through PIPP, AS!2, Reg 6 and tweeked in CS3. Animation using Windows Movie Maker.

Thanks for looking :smiley:

8079252318_4cabd54fcc.jpg

Jupiter 09.10.12. by KE 400, on Flickr

8079283813_f0091c5c4e.jpg

Jupiter0030-01-16-24_pipp_g4_q15-1 by KE 400, on Flickr

8079277140_5a7db98d6e.jpg

Jupiter0026 00-50-38_pipp_g4_q27 by KE 400, on Flickr

8079284359_2b9dbed8ef.jpg

Jupiter0023-00-40-55_pipp_g4_Validate2_q30 by KE 400, on Flickr

Here is the link to the animation below, don't know how to attach to post as it keeps saying can't attach this type of file!

Thanks chaps, just to clarify, these aren't my 1st ever images, just with my new set up!

Stuart - I was taking 3 min avi's or 5000 frames @ 30 fps. Running them through PIPP and stacking around 1200 I think in AS!2. (Not really sure of correct settings etc as it's the 1st time I've used this all together). The frustrating thing so far is that I can't seem to get that sharp focus! I have a microtouch and am inside when focussing in so it's as good as is available I guess and it literally took 1hr 30 to settle at that level of focus. Of course the seeing was terrible which doesn't help. I'm hoping that it'll be a law of averages type thing and the more I'm out there, the better chance I have of getting good seeing conditions = sharp focussed images???

I look in admiration at a lot of you guys's images and wonder how you get such sharp focussed images? It's very puzzling and frustrating tbh so far as it's never happened as yet. I'm also wondering is it down to using mono ccd's and that using the DFK may be limited giving a textured type effect when processed?

Any advice would be great, thanks for posting :smiley:

Hi kevin, that's a good start with your new kit. If you haven't already, you may want to check collimation as this can have a big impact on the sharpness of the image. What settings are you using on your DFK? I assume you are using IC capture? Although I have the older chip in my cam, I would expect our setup to be similar. I have 30FPS, 1/30 sec, gain 735 and gam 100. I capture Y800/Y800 and debayer in AS!2. Are your settings similar?

Hi Freddie

Our settings are practically exact. I do usually try and check collimation before each run and it looked really good so was happy to go and image. The only differences maybe in the processing as it's the 1st time I've used AS!2 and to be honest was just trying all kinds of set ups which I felt would be relevant. If you can suggest any preffered settings that I should maybe have, that would be great.

Thanks for posting

Hi Kevin, once I have analysed the AVI in AS!2 I set it to stack between 50 and 65% of the frames (~4500 in the original AVI) depending on the quality graph. I select an alignment box size of 60 and manually place ~20 overlapping on the image. Once stacked, it's into R6 for RGB align, auto RGB balance and wavelets. Hope that is of some help.

Hi Freddie

When you state the 50 to 65 % is this the values for "normalize stack & sharpened image" options?

Also, when I select the single alignment option I just make the box large enough to cover the image so theres no option of a box size of 60?

Sorry to sound a bit dim

Hi Kevin, I select 50-65% in the stack options box. If you select multiple (MAP), it's in the top left corner of the image box, this will give you the option to place multiple points on the image. I've just tried one alignment box on one of my AVIs and there is a definate improvement when using multiple points.

Kevin if you could post up a stacked TIFF file (before wavelets) I'd be interested to have a play. I'm thinking your issues are more to do with processing rather than capture. Those dyadic wavelets can be pretty brutal, thickening the detail which may give the impression of a collimation or focus problem.

Freddie has done a good job there Kevin. I'm sure with better seeing the detail will pop out much more easily. Its always tempting to try and force out the detail I know I've done it in the past. I was looking at one of my avis from this time last year when seeing was poor and the results were very similar.

Archived