NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

would this be ok for a diy dew shield?

the black will help prevent LP getting in too so also acts as a shield. i suspect the bright colours may reflect light especially if its shiney.

I like what you've done with the Telrad dew shield, Rustmonkey. :smiley:

I'm also planning to construct a dew shield for my own recently acquired set-up. Did you use some kind of template for that Telrad shield? There's a Hobbycraft on my way to work so I think I'll pop in and pick up some of that black matting you mention - I have the same scope as you (the SW 150PL), and the black matting looks great with it! Actually I notice you say you used glue to hold together the roll, I was going to use sticky-back velcro - any reason you would use spray glue rather than velcro?

One other thing - I have the basic 150PL out-of-the-box set up at the moment (no motors etc.) and I can't help but notice you've got a couple of extra counterweights on the mount... Was this to help stabilise because of the add-on stuff like the motors / telrad etc?

There is a template out there which I referred to but can't remember where it was. A google search may find it.

i used spray glue to fix the A4 sheets together to make a full roll remembering to overlap the pieces then used Velcro to hold the two ends together.

the weights (£1.99 each from Tesco) are to assist balance when I have the Camera, Telrad and other bits and pieces on.

Glad you like it.....just don't point it at a Police Helicopter......they may panic, lol

I picked up 4 sheets of the A4 black foam from Hobbycraft yesterday. I was going to have a go at constructing a dew shield but the sky was clear last night so got in a viewing session (no. 5) instead :)

I'm definitely starting to get more comfortable star hopping with practice - it's a skill that takes effort I'm finding! But I was delighted to find M57, the ring nebula... Brilliant!

I had to give up when the finderscope fogged up followed quickly by the secondary - I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

The dewshield on my 50mm finder is a piece of cardboard (cut from a cereal box) with a velcro tab to hold it in place. It's lasted 3 years so far. I used to use a rubber band to hold it on but those perish eventually. For the main scope I use camping mat foam. Anything will do as long as it shades the optics from the sky, holds its shape, and doesn't get soggy.

Archived