Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 1501

Moonshane

I was having a look at Kemble's Cascade and NGC 1502 last night for the first time (yeah I know) and it's a wonderful asterism. I noted that close by was a Planetary Nebula that I had not seen, NGC 1501. This was described a bright and although I certainly found it no problem, found it to be relatively faint.

I wonder if the intermittent fine high cloud and possibly light pollution could have had an effect?

Has anyone else viewed this in relatively poor conditions?

The view I had revealed no hint of the central star but the nebula was a quite large round area of diffuse fuzz, more obvious with the Oiii and averted vision, slightly irregular surface and when the seeing came in a bit better, a resemblance broadly to the Ring Nebula with a brighter outer section and darker inner section - this was only hinted at though.

Having said all that, just looked up the apparent magnitude and it's 11.5 whereas the Blue Snowball is 8.3 so maybe I just need a darker sky.

Congrats on finding that. It is sometimes referred to as the Oyster Nebula. Not difficult, but also not very bright is the best description. It does belong to the top 100 brightest planetaries, but at mag 12.5 spread out over a circle 52" across it is not exactly bright. I managed to find it quite easily in a short session last year (28-11 according to my log) with the C8. It is quite easily resolved, and UHC filter brings out the contrast nicely. My report is here:

I think that the large size of this one makes it tricky in LP skies. I'll have a look every now and again (Kembles and NGC 1502 are now faves of mine anyway!) and will see if things change at all with different conditions. I am at PSP in Buxton soon so will hopefully see it at a dark site if the skies behave.

The cluster NGC1502 is often referred to as "The Jolly Roger", hope that you caught the skull and crossbones!

I did put a wee note somewhere that this vast cascade can easily be found from Cassiopeia. Same distance to the left as the 2 end stars of Cassiopeia. Everyone should see this.

Had a blur with the p.n, mind you only used the 102.

Nick.

I observed NGC 1501 in September 2003 with an 8" f6 at a dark site. Here's what I've got in my notes:

"Fairly bright, large and easy. In 20mm plossl looks annular with averted vision. In 8mm with UHC filter resembles out-of-focus diffraction pattern with dark centre, though this is only seen with averted vision, and is not easy. I felt without UHC was better: dark centre was easier, and pretty field stars evident."

Archived