Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR Cooling to Near Ambient with Fan Cooler

Gina

Here are a couple of noise images.

1. 5 minutes exposure at ISO 3200 and EXIF T of 33C
  2. 10 minutes exposure at ISO 3200 and EXIF T of 25C

As can be seen the noise at 33C is worse than that at 25C even though the exposure is only half. This shows the efficacy of cooling the image sensor quite dramatically I think.

post-13131-0-98163000-1349209993_thumb.jpost-13131-0-68440000-1349209997_thumb.j

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No wonder the images I take using my camera appear to have a high background noise! .. the camera does seem to get a little warm at times after trying to take lots of images.

I'd love a cooled sensor camera.

Well done Gina, that's quite a difference for such a small cooling down!

That looks very neat, compact, and usable, what a result! :) if modding the 300D goes well I might just have to give this one a go, but maybe on my350D:)

Thank you :) Seems I've found a very effiient CPU cooler :) I think if you're up to the filter mod and a bit of metalwork it shouldn't be a problem. I'll be interested to see how you get on if you decide to go ahead.

That doesn't look too bad at all.

Looking at the images in your previous posting though, I'm afraid I'm yet to be convinced there's a market for the camera that gives you a shave whilst you take photos...

James

That doesn't look too bad at all.

Looking at the images in your previous posting though, I'm afraid I'm yet to be convinced there's a market for the camera that gives you a shave whilst you take photos...

James

:D

Could fit the fan with a guard :D Not a bad mod for the cost of a couple of quid in parts - a guard would increase the cost :rolleyes: Though needn't be much :D

That's a big difference Gina .. well done!

I was going to post a dark from my standard 500D for you to see a comparison but I can't see any temperature reading in the Exif data (RAW image). How do you get the temperature data added I wonder? .. Maybe my camera doesn't allow it to be added?

Here's an ISO3200 30 second one anyway (camera at room temperature). I'll do a longer exposure if I can find my remote for it.

post-20192-0-47414900-1349304689_thumb.j

Wow, I take it you're pretty pleased with that result then Gina:). I reckon alot of people would be very happy with that level of noise albeit in a stack of 30 frames :D don't be surprised if you see a number of your compact mods popping up on SGL:D great job!

That's a big difference Gina .. well done!

Thank you :)
I was going to post a dark from my standard 500D for you to see a comparison but I can't see any temperature reading in the Exif data (RAW image). How do you get the temperature data added I wonder? .. Maybe my camera doesn't allow it to be added?

Here's an ISO3200 30 second one anyway (camera at room temperature). I'll do a longer exposure if I can find my remote for it.

post-20192-0-47414900-1349304689_thumb.j

The 500D is a pretty recent model isn't it? I would have thought it would give temperature in the EXIF data. In APT you add EXIF T in the setup/configuration. There are apps that will read the EXIF data and though many don't seem to display the temperature, I gather there are some that do.

If you run your camera from APT via USB you should be able to set any length exposure. You can also set any exposure time in the EOS Utilities but I haven't found any way of showing EXIF T in that software.

Wow, I take it you're pretty pleased with that result then Gina:). I reckon alot of people would be very happy with that level of noise albeit in a stack of 30 frames :D don't be surprised if you see a number of your compact mods popping up on SGL:D great job!

Thank you Chris :) Yes, I am pleased :) I knew the noise could be reduced significantly from results with my main cooled camera but I was by no means sure I could produce similar results with such a simple setup. It doesn't have set-point temperature control but if the darks are taken straight after the imaging run, the temperature will be near enough. Plenty of imagers manage without set-point control. With the cost of those CPU Coolers being under £2 including P&P I think I'll order a couple more while they're still available. I'll do it now.

UPDATE - Drat!! They're no longer available - should've ordered last night. Drat and double drat! :( Strange because last night they had hundreds available - didn't think there was that much urgency :( I have a spare 1100D which doesn't seem to sell so I thought I might make up a twin wide-field setup to take Ha and OIII at the same time.

Yes, only just over 60mm square with copper heat pad and many thin and high fins giving better cooling. This cooler is more efficient than the 80mm CPU cooler I took off an old PC. And a lot lighter.

Had another browse of ebay and found this one from Hong Kong which is a bit bigger, not much info though - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a68ed0e87

I'll continue looking...

Archived