Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HUBBLE PALLETT in PIXINSIGHT?

cloudbuster

hi all

i just bought the sky at night special on astro photography, and on reading through the pages on how to do a hubble pallett in photoshop, wondered how i would go about doing the same in pixinsight?

any tips anyone? would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

bob

You can merge the HSO palette in the same way as you merge RGB - Then you have some semblance of the starting point of the photoshop information. After that, when PS goes through the colour section process I have not worked out a way to do that in PI. I've spent many an hour on the PI forum trying to find the answer, but I suspect it's partially changing the channels in the curves transformation process, getting rid of the green using SNCR and probably an unhealthy amount of pixel math. Can't help with the tricky bit I'm afraid Bob.

thanks very much sara....your'e a trooper as ever! i think im gonna have to try and get ps, as well as surf the pi forums at some point.

cheers

bob

ps. keep postin those images....the improvement in your imaging (as if it wer'nt already good) has been remarkeable!

As I suspected ............. PixelMath :undecided:

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=4135.msg28788#msg28788

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=4266.msg30063#msg30063

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=2346.msg15561#msg15561 Shame that in this link #5 has all the images removed, that would have been really useful

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.msg24477#msg24477

These should get you started Bob - I look forward to your results.

Bob, I just had a 5 minute play in PI using the following PixelMath mix for HST

R/K 0.4*Ha + 0.6*SII

G 0.4*OIII + 0.3*Ha + 0.3*SII

B OIII

I then did an SCNR to remove the green, upped the saturation in Curves transformation and ended up with the image below. Not decent by any stretch, but gives you an idea of what can be achieved with minimal effort. No masks, no sharpening done - But a basis to work on I suppose.

post-5681-0-09920600-1349002256_thumb.jp

superb stuff sara! i'm gonna print-off this info....many thanks..tho i'm still to yet start imaging! its just that im tryin to store-up as much info as poss in order to make this ccd lark work! hopefully, i'll be in a position to help someone sometime.

cheers again sar!

bob

• 4 years later...

One thing that puzzles me - if you're removing the green after the mix why put the green in in the first place?  But I guess SCNR doesn't just kill the green channel :D  Must have a read up on that...  Also, there seem to be various formulae for the Hubble combination.  I'll try yours Sara :)

A bit later...  Ooops - that was one formula I tried and the best of the bunch :D

15 minutes ago, Gina said:

One thing that puzzles me - if you're removing the green after the mix why put the green in in the first place?  But I guess SCNR doesn't just kill the green channel :D  Must have a read up on that...  Also, there seem to be various formulae for the Hubble combination.  I'll try yours Sara :)

A bit later...  Ooops - that was one formula I tried and the best of the bunch :D

HI Gina

SCNR adjusts the green to a more likeable palette range - HLVG kills the green from recollection.  So SCNR maintains data in correct preferred colours rather than removing your hard earned data.

I like

R=s*.76+h*.24

G=h*.85+sii*.15

B=O

Then SCNR at about .9.  You can tweak colours by adjusting the percentages applied per channel and tweaking SCNR.  You have full control.

Why green? - well thats the colour it combines at you then need to shift into the correct palette.

Paddy 

After that lot, you can play around with ColourMask to tweak/adjust various parts (colours) in the image. You do this by creating masks which are dependant on a colour range, potentially combining them, and then making adjustments to only those areas covered by the mask (or the inverse mask):

colourmaskDT.jpg

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

OMG!! I can't believe that I ever got THIS far in Pixinsight!!! I don't even remember it, must have been very traumatic :D:D 

I think you are a bit of a guru on the quiet just look at the evidence :) 

34 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

After that lot, you can play around with ColourMask to tweak/adjust various parts (colours) in the image. You do this by creating masks which are dependant on a colour range, potentially combining them, and then making adjustments to only those areas covered by the mask (or the inverse mask):

colourmaskDT.jpg

Can also use COlour range select in PS - I use a bit of both

18 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

I think you are a bit of a guru on the quiet just look at the evidence :) 

You can be absolutely sure that isn't the case ..... I really DID try with PI a few years ago...... but had to give up. Now I rarely use it

Archived