Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good against burglars?

Codmate

I have the 55mm TV as well and it has a bad case of concrete rash on the top metel eyecup area, I dropped it, the glass is fine but it never sees light these days. You are all correct about the dark site though, it is a good job I have one at the house. I know the exit pupil is far too big but I like to put it in my 115mm refractor and look at starfields in the MilkyWay, is very nice, think I might just do that to-night.

Alan.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Vixen would give 4.3° in my 106mm by way of comparison, as you say though, depends how sharp the extra field is as to whether it is worth it.

Wasn't recommending the 55mm for OP's scope :p, the exit pupils do get rather silly, would be 11.5 ish in a 250 mm! The main purpose I can see is in moderate sized refractors for very wide field views under dark skies. The exit pupil remains just about ok. I had a 55mm but found I didn't use it that much. The 41mm panoptic I use a bit more but only under really good conditions. It helps as a finder ep in the mak, giving a whopping 0.7° field!

Stu

And in the other photograph the tin of beans is completely inside the barrel of the eyepiece. Iv'e got the Meade 40mm SWA which is so big you could drop it as a bomb and optain world domination. It is a very good eyepiece in anything faster than F7 but I can't even give it away.

There are only about 8 people in Bulgaria that are interested in an eyepiece this size and all of them have what they want. The post to UK is more than I could sell it for,

I guess the other two ep's are the Nagler 31mm blockbuster and the 28mm Uwan dambuster, nice class glass.

Alan

Correct Alan. Please don't laugh at the chickpeas, I have no idea where they came from, and think they are still in the back of the cupboard.

At some point, I may do some maths to see whether I can consolidate some of my ep's and acquire a 21mm ethos, may make sense. 31t5 isn't going anywhere though :D

Stu

Archived