NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pow Hill Tue 18 Sept

scarp15

Pow Hill Country Park is situated on the edge of the Northern Pennine moors and is a popular location used by amateur astronomers in the North East region, particularly Tyneside and Wearside.

I have enjoyed a trio of sessions to this location in the past two weeks. Conditions on this Tuesday were very clear with a cold and brisk wind.

I was using my Skywatcher 300p flextube for the session.

My first targets were the Open and Globular Clusters M11, M15 and M2. Revisiting the Wild Duck Cluster twice during the evening, the better views formed later on as it moved further to the West, easily located using my 27mm panoptic (X56), I wipped up the power with a 9mm nagler (X167), the cluster exploded in the eyepiece, peppered with stars to the edge of field, in an intricate structured mosaic pattern. Wild it certainly is although the 'duck' I have yet to visualise.

M15 nad M2 are very bright and nicely resolved at higher power, these are two clusters I enjoy in my C8, for me they work at both apertures.

Next I located Neptune, I love looking at the outer planets and as with my C8, they appear as tiny balls with a hint of colour, wonderfull!

I put on my Lumicon Oxygen III filter and began a search for the Saturn Nebula. This is not one I have visited before and could only detect the oval shape by jiggling the scope a bit, a hint of light pollution was probably affecting its low skyline proximity too. Next on my search was the Lagoon nebula, I have not seen this before and caught it low on the horizon and about to pass between trees, a bright and distinct nebula and one I will visit again.

I swung my scope up to Cygnus for one of my favourite objects The Veil. Each time I see this, I am transfixed and spellbound by its subtle elegance and the clarity of the filaments and wispful spirals. During the evening I returned to it several times and enjoyed very clear views of both the East and West Veil, using the knob on the scope to span the profiles. The visual impact is starkly very satisfying on this object!

For the record I used my OIII filter combined with a 20mm nagler T5 (X75).

I prised myself away to try and glimpse the Crescent and North American nebulas. The Crescent I can detect but is somewhat lost in the intensity of this part of the sky and the North American is of course so vast.

After a quick look at the Ring Nebula, I removed the filter from the focuser tube and aimed for my next subject The Andromeda. Visable with my naked eye, it gloriously filled my 35mm Panoptic (X43) and comfortably framed M110 nad M32 as well as the expansive dust lanes of M31. It continued to be framed nicely as I switched between eyepieces and for a closer inspection a 16mm nagler T6 (X94).

I had a quick look at M34 as it too was clearly visible to my eye, before a search for M33 Triangulum. Still hanging a bit low in the sky I have only visually seen it once in my C8 but could not conclusively detect it on this occasion.

I then turned my attention to Uranus to complete my session.

Conditions were a bit cutting and blustery, in fact at times my scope acted like a weather vane swinging around a bit, but it was a spectacular session.

Setting off for home I encounted an Owl sitting on the road facing me, something I was told can occur around here. In the blackness outside, John Cage's 'music' wafting from the car radio and Jupiter suspended glaring in the sky above and ahead, was a surreal and fitting conclusion to the evening.

Indeed a great report and you certainly picked some gems that night Iain!

I've recently come to terms that I'm a confirmed globularholic and the ones you mention are all real stunners, may not have the resolvable impact of M13/M22 and M92 but still interesting shapes in each.

I also viewed the Saturn nebula the other night and was a little underwhelmed by it to be honest although over twenty minutes of viewing I did detect a slight east to west oval shape.

M31 dust lanes was also another standout moment for me recently. :)

I also viewed the Saturn nebula the other night and was a little underwhelmed by it to be honest although over twenty minutes of viewing I did detect a slight east to west oval shape.

M31 dust lanes was also another standout moment for me recently. :)

Yes I agree Mike, it is an object I might return to, however there are of course many more smaller planetary nebulae that are visually more engaging currently and located at a more comfortable declination. During my two earlier sessions, M76 The Little Dumbell, NGC 6826 The Blinking Planetary and NGC 7662 The Blue Snowball nebulae are all very satisfying visually in their own way.

great report,thats one of the places sunderland astro uses,the other and main one we use is millshield.we had our yearly starbeque on sat night.

Yep, I have just joined Sunderland Astro, look forward to the Autumn, Winter events.

Archived