SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astro-Physics "Lottery"

L8-Nite

Astro physics is having a lottery for the chance to "purchase" a 175mm f/8 EDF Starfire refractor.

There are eleven OTAs available, according to the website. Drawing is September 21, 2012

www.astro-physics.com Click on "Availability" and then on "Online Product Notification Request Form" for details.

The price is $19,800.oo which is about £12,200.oo

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I still have about 8 years to go on the wait list for one of those, so just submitted my entry. After import duty, VAT and shipping that will come to about £15,000. Better speak to the bank manager about remortgaging my house....

Clear skies,

I did put my name 'into the hat' as it were...

In actual fact, according to their Yahoo users group 'only' 402 people entered their names for the 7 scopes available (out of the 12 made), so they were actually pretty good odds!

If my name had come up I don't actually know quite how I would have reacted (to also having to pull together the 15K or so after extras and shipping, customs, etc)..... I could have run around the garden naked - screaming(!!!), or.... just thrown up over the lounge with shock!!!!!

There is still a slim chance come Monday (if all those contacted don't say yes), there will be a later draw.... fingers crossed!

Damian

There is still a slim chance come Monday (if all those contacted don't say yes), there will be a later draw.... fingers crossed!

Damian

It would seem reasonable, that those who conducted this lottery would take this possible issue into account, and therefore draw a sequence of alternate names. I can not forsee a later draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones. As I understand it now, all the winners have paid their $10,000 deposit. However, should anyone fail to pay / change their mind on final billing, a new name will be drawn.

Oh well, back to the 8 year wait list....

Quite a bit of a difference between a 7" obstructed F/14 and a 7" unobstructed F/8. Not that I would turn down the former if someone offered me one!

Can't offer you one, but can offer you a peek through ours sometime. :smiley:

Archived