NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

30-35mm EP

Sirius Bizness

I need some help deciding what EP to stick with/get in the 30-35mm FL range.

First of all I started with the 32mm panaview. I don't like how the stars turn into lines from about 80% of the FOV onwards (feels like 50% in the MM190). So I thought I would try the 31mm Hyperion...conclusion...just as bad.

My question is, do I really need to break the bank on the Nagler 31mm T5. If it's anything like my 12mm then that is the sharpness across the FOV I am looking for. What are the lower cost alternatives? Would the 26mm Nagler give me the same FOV as the Hyperion? Also, what about the Panoptics? Are they sharp to the edges?

Panoptics are sharp to the edges. I suspect the Skywatcher Nirvana's / William Optics UWAN's would be as well. I've compared those to Naglers and there is really not a lot of difference until you get down to scopes faster than F/5.

The 26mm Nagler would show very nearly as much sky as the 31mm Hyperion does.

I have used for a long time a Meade 34mm SWA which gives a 68 degree FOV and in all my scopes was sharp to the edge. But being a TV addict I had a chance to get a 35mm TV panoptic which is the Rolls Royce of these eyepieces. I am sure you will have no problems with either eyepiece. However the Televue will cost you much more secondhand and the SWA is now discontinued .

Alan.

The Aero is apparently a clone of the TMN Paragon design which is very good down to F/6. At F/5.3 (of your MN) a 35 gets you just under 7mm exit pupil, which can produce slightly pale backgrounds. I would prefer the 30 mm. The ES 30mm 82° gets good reviews, as does the Meafe Series 5000 UWA (I had the 14mm which was great). I myself have the Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust", which is great. Choices, choices.

I would highly recommend the 30mm Explore Scientific 82°. I have been comparing it side by side with a 31mm Nagler for a few weeks now and have to say, to my eyes, it gives up precious little to the much more expensive Televue. The 28mm William Optics UWAN is also excellent. I briefly compared it with the 26mm Nagler (in an 8" f5.9) and again, nothing in it optically. Below f5 it might be a different story though?

Archived