Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kelling Heath - Tales, Anecdotes and funnies

daz

So, Saturday night, there I am sat with my telescope all set up ready to go. Going through the process of setting up the guiding after having spent an age polar aligning (neither of which, as it turned out, were particularly good!!) and trying to captue some light.

The telescope was the very sexy WO FLT110, with TMB field flattener. I felt a fraud with my DSLR on the end to be honest, but anyway, it did look nice on my EQ6!!

Along comes someone who we shall not name for the moment.

"You need the dew shield extended on that" says the voice "otherwise it will dew up very quickly".

"Eh?" says I, turning from my frustrations with the guiding to see The Nameless One grab the dew shield and yank it forward.

Only to find out that, actually, it was already extended, and now the scope had been moved from alignment.

An embarrased silence.

"Sorry Daz!" came the voice and off he toddled, rather quickly!!!

He shall remain nameless but I'm sure I won't be the first to admit that their optics were tweaked by someone else!!!

;)

[subliminal message advertising sucker] can you give us a link for this first light optics of which you speak? I'm quite interested in that FLT 110 you refer to... and an EQ6 might be nice... [/subliminal message advertising sucker]

;)

Andrew

Have to be honest and admit I'm miffed I couldn't go-sounds like a fun time was had by all, including Daz ! Unfortunately a certain little girl was having her 6th B'day party and Daddy HAS to be there(of course), he was baking the cake ! Might make it next year ! There's always Kielder !

a grumpy and envious.......Karlo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the nameless one was first on the wine before dinner, which may have made him feel light-headed so may have altered his judgement. Lucky there wasn't a bar with optics there or it could have got very messy.

Tony..

Not particularly funny but at some point during the evening, Darren (Stargazer 1980) mentioned that you've got to look through a certain Mr. Aston's scope, so not being quite sure what he was going on about I followed him over to the Red Field and eventually made our way over to this huge set-up where there was a bit of crowd huddled it. Turns out that this is our Mr Aston and he brought along his Takahashi Mewlon 300 Dall-Kirkham scope mounted on an Astro Physics 1200 mount and for all knew the tripod was made out of RSJ's, and for widefield views he had a Tak Sky 90. So we managed to get some astounding views of M13 (I lost count of the stars I could see in the CORE:shock:) and M31. During this, Darren starts to do his rather uncanny impression of Borat and proceeds to have most of the crowd in fits of laughter ;). A good moment from a great evening. He's now known as Borat round these parts :wink:.

Tony..

Archived