NGC281 nowwith 17 hours' data.

ollypenrice

Well, 17 hours but not all of it under a vintage sky. There's an incidious high, thin haze hovering about the place this week.

Roughly 11 hours of Ha and two hours per colour in Yves' 14 inch ODK/MesuMount 200/H36 mono. The Ha has gone into red in blend mode lighten. None has been used in Luminance.

Olly

NGC281-17HRS-HaRGB-XL.jpg

And for a closer look at the Earwig (as I think of it!) and the Bok globules...

NGC281-17HRS-HaRGB-DUSTLANE-XL.jpg

One of my most favourite objects this one. Am looking forward to getting in close to it when I get back from Kelling Heath in a few weeks time, and hope I can get as sharp as this one.

It does look very red on my wifes laptop Olly, I'm wondering if there is a blend using the Ha you could try which would accentuate the outer structure a little, there are really complex and detailed clouds in there and perhaps they could stand out a little more?

Either way, great result, I'm loving that star field, and the really tight central grouping still show as separate stars with distinct spikes, pin sharp resolution :)

Cheers

Tim

One of my most favourite objects this one. Am looking forward to getting in close to it when I get back from Kelling Heath in a few weeks time, and hope I can get as sharp as this one.

It does look very red on my wifes laptop Olly, I'm wondering if there is a blend using the Ha you could try which would accentuate the outer structure a little, there are really complex and detailed clouds in there and perhaps they could stand out a little more?

Either way, great result, I'm loving that star field, and the really tight central grouping still show as separate stars with distinct spikes, pin sharp resolution :)

Cheers

Tim

I share your reservations, Tim. I've just been asked on the French forum why I didn't use Luminance and it's because I don't know if it would add any details - and indeed I fear it might dilute them and make star colour even harder to preserve. It is very red-dominated, as you say. Maybe an O111 layer would tease out a bit of alternative colour? The truth is that most of the detailed information in here is in the red channel.

I am a bit disappointed in the faintest outer wisps. I think it is just that the sky has not really been playng ball. The background values were raiesd by a thin high haze.

I hope yours goes well. We are off to revisit NGC1333, I reckon.

Olly

There isn't a great deal of data in Oiii for this one Olly, only really showing around the central star.

This is one target that really does stand out better in narrowband than RGB, but the result does look similar to what I have obtained with a OSC camera.

Perhaps you could introduce more tones into the red, but it's being picky, it's a great photie :)

Nowwit's even better! I love that crop of the "earwig", the detail you achieve is quite remarkable.

With regards to the colour, I think perhaps this is one of those nebulae where you just can't have it both ways; either the Ha shines through or the colour variations do. Do the blue bits actually come from reflection or from OIII emission? :confused:

Nowwit's even better! I love that crop of the "earwig", the detail you achieve is quite remarkable.

With regards to the colour, I think perhaps this is one of those nebulae where you just can't have it both ways; either the Ha shines through or the colour variations do. Do the blue bits actually come from reflection or from OIII emission? :confused:

Good question. If Tim reckons there isn't much 0111 to be had then I guess it might be reflection from the bright double. Maybe H beta would tease out some blue. It traces much the same gas as Ha, but I only have a 1.25 inch and the Yvesmobile needs 2 inch.

Olly

Nicely done, Olly.

I think you are right not to use luminace here and unlke M8 I do not think there is a lot of detail added by reflection nebula.

It's indeed a tough job to reveal detail from Ha and keep reflection nebual intact.

Mark

I was wondering about a third NB filter (I have Ha and OIII) SII seems very close to Ha wavelength-wise whereas Hbeta is way up (or is it down) in the blue. But it there's little in the way of emissions in the Hbeta band there seems little point in getting that filter. Much the same applies to SII I think.

Good question. If Tim reckons there isn't much 0111 to be had then I guess it might be reflection from the bright double. Maybe H beta would tease out some blue. It traces much the same gas as Ha, but I only have a 1.25 inch and the Yvesmobile needs 2 inch.

Olly

Not a lot of OIII at all in this one, here is a bi-colour one I did last year, a bit of OIII around the center stars and thats about it.

pacmanbicolour.png

Not a lot of OIII at all in this one, here is a bi-colour one I did last year, a bit of OIII around the center stars and thats about it.

pacmanbicolour.png

Hmmm, but that bit of blue-green might be what the image lacks. On our Eagle project a month or two back Yves didn't use the O111 and I did. It brought a little more variety to the Ha regions though not much for the time involved.

You've got more of the pointed tail on the left than we have, Martin. I was a bit disappointed not to have popped a bit of that in our picture.

Olly

I know the KAF8300 chip and the QHY implementation of it is not to everyones taste...mines been repaired 3 times!!!! But they do hoover up Ha

No free lunches in astronomy hardware but, yes, the Ha is singing in full voice! I have a number of guests who are fed up with the slow response of the 8300 and are looking to change, but the area of the chip is so large that the decsion to go for a smaller, more responsive chip is a hard one if you don't have 11 meg money to spend.

Olly

No free lunches in astronomy hardware but, yes, the Ha is singing in full voice! I have a number of guests who are fed up with the slow response of the 8300 and are looking to change, but the area of the chip is so large that the decsion to go for a smaller, more responsive chip is a hard one if you don't have 11 meg money to spend.

Olly

So very true! I'd get rid of mine in a heartbeat if I had the cash.....on the other hand - the OSC version...........well lets say it would be quicker to use a pack of colouring pencils LOL

So very true! I'd get rid of mine in a heartbeat if I had the cash.....on the other hand - the OSC version...........well lets say it would be quicker to use a pack of colouring pencils LOL

...which is exactly what an SBIG 8300OSC owner felt. He sold it double quick.

Olly

Archived