Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-157 in HST palette

GordonH

Hi All

I've been working on this for the last few weeks in between work and weather, it is of Sh2-157 (also known as the lobster claw nebula), I managed to get 12x30 minutes Ha, 14x30 minutes OIII and 9x30 minutes SII (would have got more SII but the whole sky misted up in the space of five minutes, reminiscent of the film "The Fog"). These were then colour combined according to the wavelength ordered palette so SII:Ha:OIII = R:G:B.

It was taken with a FSQ106ED at f5, FLI ML8300 on a Paramount ME using a lodestar to autoguide with dithering. Processing consists of levels, curves, colour balancing and contrast adjustments.

The Ha and Ha/OIII versions can be seen in the image gallery on my website http://www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk along with a much wider field version

Below is a link to the full size version

http://www.pbase.com/imaging_the_heavens/image/145929814/original

Thanks for looking

Best wishes

Gordon

post-943-0-11993100-1347183091_thumb.jpg

Gordon, this is a really good image, nicely framed and executed. The target is also one that I'm not familair with, so thanks for bringing this to our attention - definitely one that I'll have a look at as well - that's if the dreadful weather here picks up (the promise of clear nights for the last 3 days turned out to deliver mist & fog every night around midnight).

Hi Gordon - I'm not familiar with this one either - It's always nice to see something new! As Martin said, this is a superb image... I know what you mean about the fog descending suddenly - It did it in Bath on Friday night.... your analogy with the film is spot on!

Martin - I empathise with you - Obviously we in the south-west are missing out what some others further east seem to have been getting. Last night was excellent... but only after about 1am (too late for me to consider setting up), the night before was fine until the fog descended at 2am and the night before that the transparency was rubbish :sad:

Hi Gordon - I'm not familiar with this one either - It's always nice to see something new! As Martin said, this is a superb image... I know what you mean about the fog descending suddenly - It did it in Bath on Friday night.... your analogy with the film is spot on!

Martin - I empathise with you - Obviously we in the south-west are missing out what some others further east seem to have been getting. Last night was excellent... but only after about 1am (too late for me to consider setting up), the night before was fine until the fog descended at 2am and the night before that the transparency was rubbish :sad:

Hi Andy

Thanks for the comments everyone, they are much appreciated, it was quite surreal as the sky was perfectly clear from horizon to horizon as the 9th sub frame downloaded and within the space of five minutes you could visibly see the fog moving from the horizon up to the top of the sky with last clear patch disappearing just above my house. The fog was actually forecast but not till 4am so I lost just over an hour.

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived