NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheapest dew zapper.

cotterless45

Mrs W has a couple of hair dryers, well to cut a long story short, she had a little pink hair dryer that had been in the cupboard for ages, and I've never seen her use it, so I though, mmm I'm having that :p , so I hung it on a hook in the obby, I though she wouldn't miss it, Wrong, took her less than 48 hours and she was on to me , the hair dryer is now back in the cupboard not being used :mad:

Yep, I'm afraid that there are limited acceptable replies;

"I'll buy you another one" (as if)

"There are more important things to worry about"...Nooooo

"You'll get over it".....Nooooo

" I'm an idiot".... Yes.

When the metal extension tube (!) to the vacuum went missing, I was accused of nicking it to make a telescope. I laughed so much that it was taken as a sign of guilt.

Days later the tube shot out of the larger vacuum tube , where it been hiding. Not guilty ma'am.

Nick

I've got a little heater I had for my car's cigar socket. Seems to do the same kind of job as a portable hairdryer. Plus, if it is hot out side, it has a fan!! True, it is bulky and not as easy to handle as a hairdryer, but why purchase when you already have.

Hairdryers are usefull accessories, there are two things to be aware of though. Mains powered 240V hairdryers present a potential shock hazard if used in a damp, outdoor environment. Beware of blasting dust onto your lenses, run the dryer at full pelt and blow out any internal dust deposits before playing it over your optics.

Hi I've been having dew problems on the objective lens so I have ordered a strip heater but until that arrives I wanted to extend the dew shield to delay the onset of misting up, I looked all over the place for bits of pipe with the required 140mm diameter to cut to length with no avail every other size on the planet I found ,anyway looking around a local supply shop I spotted a cheap ,62p, thin door mat rubber on one side and hard cheap carpet on other side, ideal wrapped it around the existing dew shield glued it tightlt enough on the overlap so I can slip it in place as required very firm no droop at all by coincidence exactly the recommended length ie 3X the objective size in this case 120mm X 3 = 360mm. I found the dew shield sizes from a much earlier post on the cloudy nights sight where some clever chap had done all the calcs. so as not to affect the field of view or the amount of light gathered, and guess what ? now cloudy probably for the next month lol

Gordon

just one further note put the rubber on the outside hopefully to keep the water out and the carpet inside perhaps hopefully to soak up a bit of the moisture ,better than spending £20 or £30 quid on a flexible one which seem to be almost the same thing

Gordon

Interesting read.... dew always seems to be the excuse (masqueraded tiredness) when I pack up, my 8" SCT seems to be particularly susceptible, the heated dew shield doesn't seem to prevent diddly. I probably have the knack of picking the most humid days :D Will have to get myself a 12v hair dryer, though not sure the neighbours will appreciate it!

Archived