NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

.965 ep to 1.25 " ????

a little help please......my old 4 1/2"newtonian (more than 20 years) has the old eps with .965 sizes. I heard there were adapters to go to a 1.25" because .965 are not made any more. I also heard (read) that going from small to big intead of from say 2" to1.25" was not such a good idea because it would reduce the field of view :undecided: if this is true what about replacing my focuser with 1.25 or would I have to make the hole where focuser is bigger :icon_scratch: robert

Another issue is that with a 0.965" to 1.25" converter in place, the 1.25" eyepieces may not be able to reach focus.

Whether you'd need to make the focuser hole larger if you replaced the focuser depends on how big it is already and what focuser you replace it with. I imagine it would have to be at least 50mm diameter, perhaps a little more.

James

Another issue is that with a 0.965" to 1.25" converter in place, the 1.25" eyepieces may not be able to reach focus.

Whether you'd need to make the focuser hole larger if you replaced the focuser depends on how big it is already and what focuser you replace it with. I imagine it would have to be at least 50mm diameter, perhaps a little more.

James

thanks for the confermation on that.....thinking real hard on maybe saving up for a new scope with 2" ep barrel.......my old scope is not in the best of shape and I am taking down notes on the cost for all the upgrades I want to make and weather of not it woud be cheeper to just buy a new one....thanks rob

thanks for the confermation on that.....thinking real hard on maybe saving up for a new scope with 2" ep barrel.......my old scope is not in the best of shape and I am taking down notes on the cost for all the upgrades I want to make and weather of not it woud be cheeper to just buy a new one....thanks rob

oh and is it even a good idea to have a 2" barrel on a 4.5" reflector or is a 1.25" better?

@SniffTheGlove......well looked more closely and seen that the ep holder screws off and to my suprise the draw tube is 1.25"...but there are no holes for setting screws to hold eps....is there a adapter that will screw into this barrel and still retain a 1.25" holder for 1.25" eps??? PS: wanted to upload couple of pics( not smart enough yet :grin: )do I have to put them in gallery first?

@SniffTheGlove......well looked more closely and seen that the ep holder screws off and to my suprise the draw tube is 1.25"...but there are no holes for setting screws to hold eps....is there a adapter that will screw into this barrel and still retain a 1.25" holder for 1.25" eps??? PS: wanted to upload couple of pics( not smart enough yet :grin: )do I have to put them in gallery first?

Try one of these http://www.scopesnskies.com/update_cart.php?action=astroboot&id=2637

wow thanks :grin: ....ahhhh it says adapter boot :huh: ....does it just slip in snugly or screw in? how does this work exactly?did you see my pics I posted in my gallery :smiley: ???....again thanks for your help :grin:

It works like this. It will fit into the drawtube. As your drawtube has no locking it screw then it will be a lose fit.

Pop the adaptor into the drawtube and then use a bit of hot glue or a dab of adhesive (not anything to strong like CA or Epoxy) to secure it in place. Or you could just put a wrap or 2 of (black) electrical tape to secure it. Then you put your EP into the adaptor and use the locking screw to secure the EP.

One con to this is that it will add a little back focus to the drawtube so if you have any EP that need to focus when the drawtube is wound fully in then you may not achieve focus on these.

It works like this. It will fit into the drawtube. As your drawtube has no locking it screw then it will be a lose fit.

Pop the adaptor into the drawtube and then use a bit of hot glue or a dab of adhesive (not anything to strong like CA or Epoxy) to secure it in place. Or you could just put a wrap or 2 of (black) electrical tape to secure it. Then you put your EP into the adaptor and use the locking screw to secure the EP.

One con to this is that it will add a little back focus to the drawtube so if you have any EP that need to focus when the drawtube is wound fully in then you may not achieve focus on these.

thanks again for your help :headbang:

I am having problems here when ordering ..I have to put in where I am ordering but when I put in European Union or united states and rest of world the price jumps to over 1000 pounds...is it possible to say send payment to the forum and have someone send it to me? it is only a small price of 6 or 7 euros I think....

I am having problems here when ordering ..I have to put in where I am ordering but when I put in European Union or united states and rest of world the price jumps to over 1000 pounds...is it possible to say send payment to the forum and have someone send it to me? it is only a small price of 6 or 7 euros I think....

The forum has no postal address so that's not going to be possible I'm afraid.

I'm sure they will ship to the EU but you will need to contact them either by phone or e.mail tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find that 1.25in is approx 31mm. Easyist way to check is to put an eyepiece into the drawtube to see if it fits.

sean right? Sorry to say I tried that. That is how I found out the that the draw tube is smaller, in fact, the out side diamature is the same size as my 1.25" collimation laser I bought fustrating cause I removed mirror and put a centering circle on it and when I had everything together again....can you imagine all the unpleasent words that came out of my mouth :mad:

Archived