Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES Summer Sale Continues

Mark in Macc

Just a quick note to inform people that the ES summer sale in the US has been extended. Both High Point Scientific and Optcorp are still advertising discounted products, as I suspect are other suppliers. Based on the discussions I've seen on this forum, the eyepieces are definitely worth a punt at these prices. A number of people have ordered from the US sucessfully and saved a small fortune. I ordered an ES 82deg 30mm last week, which has been sent to a friend of mine who will bring it over. Even if you don't like what you get (seems unlikely), you will probably be able to get most of your money back on Astrobuysell.

Mark, yes it appears most are extending it, although I noticed one or two aren't. Scope city i dont think kept it going. Agena Astro and Hands On Optics still are. I panicked and ordered the ES 100* 20mm on the last day from Hands On Optics. I'm tracking it at the moment and hope customs are too busy with some pot or something, to notice my little gem, or big gem as the case may be.

Barry

All of the EPs in my signature have been picked up at various points during this seasons summer sale.

Some squeaked through customs, some didn't. Even accounting for the contibution to HMRC (required to plug the TAX black hole they let multinationals acrue) I have quite literally saved hundreds of pounds.

As we speak, I'm just waiting for the Holy Hand Grenade to turn up.

Russell

Came home this evening and found a message from the postman stating he had missed us. That means two things, my lovely 20mm 100° will spend tonight in the post office, and secondly.... no VAT again, I love those customs guys. Thats delivered for €350. Cant go wrong.

Hope it stays clear tomorrow, moon doesnt rise till around midnight.

Aw, man, I've not been on here for a while, and the first night I'm back on I find out about an ES sale. That's the problem with this place, it's just too darn expensive.

having said that I have a 4.7mm sized hole in my EP box....hmmm.

Are any vendors more likely to attract vat and import duty than others?

Aw, man, I've not been on here for a while, and the first night I'm back on I find out about an ES sale. That's the problem with this place, it's just too darn expensive.

having said that I have a 4.7mm sized hole in my EP box....hmmm.

Are any vendors more likely to attract vat and import duty than others?

You could ask them to maybe understate the value, just in case. I dont want to name them, but they valued it WELL under the value, I mean well under.

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, how much is the postal charge from the US for a single eyepiece (not including any taxes that may or may not be charged)? Are any companies cheaper than others?

I ordered two ep's from astronomics.com (es 9mm 100* and es 30mm 82*) and they asked for $74 for shipping!

I ordered a single 24mm 68 degree ES from the States and I think the postage was around £30-ish can't remember exactly but it rounded the total price of the lens plus postage to £100. Of course I then got stung for £20 customs and £8 Royal mail "handling charge" but It still worked out significantly cheaper than buying it from a British retailer

Out of interest, how much is the postal charge from the US for a single eyepiece (not including any taxes that may or may not be charged)? Are any companies cheaper than others?

I found that generally, the price for delivery to Ireland was around $38. Some are DEFINITELY more expensive than others. The least expensive, I found, was generally Agena Astro, especially for bits and pieces. For small objects that weren't bulky, it was ofter <$15. Great value.

Barry

Some charge more than others, mostly due to their preferred carrier. Not all of them lie to use the postal service and insist on tracked.

It's highly dependent on size and weight though. My ES82 30mm cost US$30 to ship whereas the shorter FLs were US$15-20 each.

Archived