Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going to jinx it, ISS transit of sun later this week

Everything seems too perfect for now. There's an ISS transit of the sun on late Wednesday morning, visible not too far away from me. Two weather forecasts currently suggest it'll be clear skies then.

What could go wrong? Well, the weather forecast is for almost 2 days away so there's plenty of time for it to be wrong. Also, I haven't managed to ask my boss yet if I can take an early lunch to catch it...

I need to plan where I want to see it from, the ground track passes through the Cotswold water park and there's various car parks in there I could try. Since I will be imaging from a car park, I can take more kit than I did for the Venus transit previously, and will go with both Ha and white light kit.

So rig 1 will be PST capturing continuous video.

Rig 2 will be DSLR with solar filter... but I'm not so confident in getting the timing just right for this one as it's only 0.8 second window!

Coo, this sounds like I should try to join in the fun :) I'll have to check to see if it will actually cross the sun for me, then work out which scope to use. Somehow I think the Mak might be too demanding.

James

Aha! CalSky claims that I do get a solar transit on Thursday afternoon. Typically however, whilst Wednesday and Friday are forecast to be sunny all day, the forecast for Thursday is only "sunny intervals". The transit will only last 0.84 seconds though. Surely even our weather could manage an interval that long at the right time?

James

Dear me. Can't be going there. They're a funny lot up Minehead way...

James

Fussy So 'n' So , if you draw a straight line from Alcombe to Northcott Mouth that's the centre-line of the shadow pass , 3 1/2 Km either side will get you a shot , but the further off the line then the further from the centre of the disc the ISS will be.

What could go wrong???? now where do i start.

1. it will probably rain here in the UK

2. there is a chance it will rain here in the UK

3. it may be wet here in the UK

4. Cloud may roll in and ruin the view

i love the british summertime, its so predictable, :grin:

Hope the weather holds out it will be amazing to see, hope you pst the shots when you have them.

Got it! Was touch and go due to cloud, but it thinned enough at the moment. Unfortunately it was a few seconds earlier than predicted so I was looking at the clock and not the screen at the exact time, but found it in the video afterwards. I'll process it when I get home tonight before I can post any images.

• 4 months later...

Archived