Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What constitutes 'wide field' and other FoV's

fwm891

Idle curiosity really about what criteria other people assign to their images. As I was thinking what constitutes what when I shoot an image?

I have an MN190 and shoot on an Atik 383L, I also have a Williams Optic 80 ED which I use with a Canon 450D plus other lenses for the canon down to 18 mm?

• 3 months later...

That sounds similar to what I want to do. ED80 for now and I love it. CPC1100 for visual (which I am keeping for now but doubts creeping in on this - may sell it in future) and I have three options going round my mind for a "bigger" AP scope:

1. A 200p Newt - cheapest option

2. A MN190 - nice but fiddly

3. A C9.25 - nice but a bit narrow field and long F ratio. But this would be good on Globulars and distant galaxies but tricky to guide.

I am erring to the 200p for now...

As usual thoughts and opinions welcomed !

Steve

I generally consider anything I shoot with the camera mounted on the Astrotrac ( focal lengths fisheye to 300mm ) as wide field, anything that requires me to lug out the IEQ45, mn190 or FLT110, auto guider, laptop, table, chair, powertank, dew heaters and a load of cables is classified as a pain in the neck and a cloud magnet :grin:

I consider anything I do with standard photography lenses as wide field. That's currently up to 200mm FL on 1100D. I do have 300mm telephoto but not ued much.

Archived