NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flat lenses?

StuW

Saw this news article and wondered how long something like this could take to filter down to the amateur market? I understand this is just the beginnings, but it looks very interesting nonetheless.

https://www.seas.har...s-perfect-image

Well, it will be a few years for it to be developed into professional applications where it is needed, and probably another few for designs to approach the amateur market. Just speculating, but I can't imagine they would be cheap to manufacture. We probably could see the technology in a decade if prices are right.

I can wait a decade, it gives me time to perfect my imaging technique in readiness for massive achromatic, edge-to-edge sharp refractors :)

I can wait a decade too. If I'm lucky, we may even land humans on Mars in my lifetime :).

This could make eyepieces lighter and smaller too!

Now that is really interesting, I note from the report that already it could be applicable to such as microscope objectives. This could mean a whole new outlook in the foreseeable future on the design of optics in the various fields. Thanks for posting :)

John.

That was very interesting reading indeed.

Importantly, they have stated it is simple to manufacture (for a bunch of Harvard physicists anyway) which could mean cheap for an innovation of this magnitude.

Not sure if I am interpreting it correctly but if the lens can be manufactured for specific wavelengths does that mean potential for a refractor with swappable lens cells to image specific wavelengths i.e Ha?

Interesting stuff indeed :laugh:

That was very interesting reading indeed.

Importantly, they have stated it is simple to manufacture (for a bunch of Harvard physicists anyway) which could mean cheap for an innovation of this magnitude.

Not sure if I am interpreting it correctly but if the lens can be manufactured for specific wavelengths does that mean potential for a refractor with swappable lens cells to image specific wavelengths i.e Ha?

Interesting stuff indeed :laugh:

That would be exciting, any refractor can become a solar scope by just changing the front lens cell.

Is there more depth without paying for the paper? The release is a bit vague on what it does... so far it sounds like it only works at a specific designed wavelength, and that range currently only goes as far as near IR so it's not ready for visible. Could it be made to work, or is there some other limit in place? And what happens when you go off the designed wavelength, does it still work in some useful manner that can be combined with further such elements or conventional ones to provide a wide corrected image?

On flat lenses that already exist, there is the Fresnel lens, which have limitations in image quality. Canon have their diffractive optics which take the Fresnel to the next level, but it seems expensive to manufacture and still has some performance issues.

I am not sure, but I think this lens may only work for monochromatic light. The article states 'the new device is completely scalable, from near-infrared to terahertz wavelengths'and 'metasurface,” can be tuned for specific wavelengths of light by simply changing the size, angle, and spacing of the antennas.'. There is no mention of polychromatic light, would have to read the original paper to find out.

It sounds like it's very narrow band, which is good if you want to focus narrow band but not good if you want to focus multiple wavelengths at once. They also mention it's for near infrared and lower frequencies, so not good for higher frequencies like green to blue, not sure if that is due too limits of the material or manufacturing limits.

Cool technology though :)

I am not sure, but I think this lens may only work for monochromatic light. The article states 'the new device is completely scalable, from near-infrared to terahertz wavelengths'and 'metasurface,” can be tuned for specific wavelengths of light by simply changing the size, angle, and spacing of the antennas.'. There is no mention of polychromatic light, would have to read the original paper to find out.

There's a discussion about it on Slashdot with lots of comments - some of them are even from people who have a background in the relevant science (though sometimes it's hard to tell which ones they are :lipsrsealed: )

And yes, the follow-ups do see to say that it's tuned to work with a laser (i.e. monchromatic / coherent light) for telecoms use, not optical use.

StuW, Naemeth, SteveNickolls GlowJet, Prador, Glasswalker, Reddoss, Cath, Pete_L, et al....

You know that you're an addicted astronomy-addled astronomer when you immediately think of eyepieces and objective lens cells and filters, (and microscopes!) as the most exciting application for this technology.

What about prescription eyeglasses? No more heavy lens elements, just a flat lens :)

Another here who thinks this is a lens for a specific wavelength.

Also it llooks like it is a small diameter and therefore small light gather.

Sorry not really for us.

However, if you want a lens to help with a long infra red scope, in space, looking into dusty regions, maybe it would form onw of components in the optical train.

There is a great deal of interest in components for the sub millimetre wavelengths where (microwave) radio waves become long infra red.

It sounds like this is targetting that area.

Very clever idea.

You know that you're an addicted astronomy-addled astronomer when you immediately think of eyepieces and objective lens cells and filters, (and microscopes!) as the most exciting application for this technology.

Given the scope of this board (lousy pun not intended) is it such a surprise that's what we think of first? Obviously it doesn't preclude other applications, but they're not the primary interest area here.

Archived