Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters... To diagonal or not to diagonal?

Hex

I am about to buy a UHC filter and am unsure which to buy a 1.25 to fit in my eyeieces or a 2 inch to fit in my nice new 2 inch WO diagonal. I have gone down the digonal route once before with a TAL 100RS and a Semi Apo and had a mega light scatter issue.

On a different topic what kind of ep's am I using? Yes I know there X-CEL but are they plossils? What ever they are they are very comfortable to use, they certainly work very nicely in my scope, its quite a forgiving scope on ep's I supose.

Firstly I'd always put the filter on the diagonal, I've had no issues doing that.

Secondly the LX's are very nice EPs, better (in my opinion) than Hyperions all the way down to f4.

Don't they they are plossls by a long shot, but don't know a better description than "6-element Eps" of which there are a few now (Hyperion, LX, Meade HD to name a few)

I put my 2" filter on the end of the diagonal barrel. I've not had any issues with that approach and it makes it very simple when it comes to changing eyepieces of course.

The X-Cell LX is a 6 element design wheras the plossl has just 4. I don't know the layout of the glass elements inside the X-Cell LX but it probably involves a barlow-type (or smythe) set of lenses in the eyepiece barrel and some larger ones in the main eyepiece body.

I put my 2" filter on the end of the diagonal barrel. I've not had any issues with that approach and it makes it very simple when it comes to changing eyepieces of course.

The X-Cell LX is a 6 element design wheras the plossl has just 4. I don't know the layout of the glass elements inside the X-Cell LX but it probably involves a barlow-type (or smythe) set of lenses in the eyepiece barrel and some larger ones in the main eyepiece body.

If it does have a Barlow element, it's not in the nosepiece (a la Hyperion) .. all the glass is in the body

The SW ones are good, fairly broad and very forgiving, I have them but have nothing to compare them with, very comfortable to use. I use mine in the 1.25"-2" adaptor just for the record, and a 14mm FTR if the ep nosepiece is a bit longer.

Archived