Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

180 Pro?

Hello all,

Over the last couple of years I have noticed that most of my observing time seems to be sent on the planets, doubles, lunar, globs and planetaries. This has got me seriously thinking about a 180 Pro Mak.

I hear many people say that they are just like a large apo. Of course they are high magnification scopes and a 40mm eyepiece gives nearly 70x but is it possible to use some kind of reducer to give lower magnifications if necessary? I am really a visual observer and only have experience with achro fracs.

Feed back from any owners would be very welcome.

My main scope is a 7" Mak.

It is a killer on planets, doubles,lunar.

It is also very good on the magority of DSO.

Very pleased with it and never had to use a reducer.

I am going to compliment it with a 6" achro refractor for the widefield star views.

The 180 pro has a very good and very deserved reputation. you will not be disappointed.

John

I agree with these comments. I have a 200mm mak and yes it does have a very small field of view, but that's only really a problem on the larger galaxies or nebulae which are pretty hard to see anyway.

Mine is great on planets, lunar, doubles, amazing on globulars and even good on M42 although you obviously don't see the full extent of it. Small planetary nebulae are also very good.

I doubt you would be disappointed. Cooldown time is a consideration though, but can be planned around.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for all the positive replies! I think I'm pretty well convinced.

Has anyone fitted a crayford to one of the newer black models, or isn't this really needed?

(also cooldown isn't a big issue as it will be in an obsy)

Thanks again.

Personally i would fit the crayford, much easier to focus.

The thread on the new version 180 is non standard but you can get an adapter from Astrotech.

Love the crayford on mine.

Thanks for that. I will look into this.

Archived