Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide field shots of Caithness sky from last weekend.

Thanks Paulus17.

Yes, they are all single shots. Shot with Canon 7D and Sigma 10mm diagonal fisheye lens at f/2.8, exposure 30 sec., ISO 4000.

Edit: sorry ISO varies from shot to shot, first frame ISO 6400, second ISO 4000, third ISO 5000.

Thank you Maciek.

Do you get any noise shooting at those ISO levels and if so how do you deal with it,if you don't mind me asking as i am shooting at low ISOs and still getting pretty bad noise in my images??

Thank you guys.

@Lorne, I hope you will see aurora display when you in Caithness in October, I have shot aurora the same night when these pictures were taken.

Also have time lapse related to above photos.

Cracking astroscapes mate,didnt realise just how dark it was at the Causiemire wind farm.Thought the LP from the towns along the coast would show up more.

When i've been up at Loch More which is only a few miles from here,it was surprising how all the towns and villages showed up along the coast.Mind you it is a

good bit higher up.

Thanks Stewart. Yes it's not bad at wind farm and it is probably possible to get even less of orange glow from light poluttion if there is no low clouds. There was quite a few low clouds at the time when I was shooting on which light pollution glow projected making it more visible.

Yes,have noticed the low clouds at Loch More really pic up the distant LP even though the site itself is really dark.

Weather permitting,and the forecast looks reasonable just now,may be going to catch some milky way photons with Gordon

tonight.Will be keeping an eye on the aurora as well.The solar wind may trigger some minor activity tonight.

I was planning to go out yesterday but weather was against my idea. If will be clear tonight than I will probably go out, maybe at Loch Meadie just before Loch More. Any idea where can you go with Gordon if weather will be good ?

Loch Meadie is a cracker of a Loch.love the tree line.Gordon emailed me last night but didnt say where he was planning going.

If i get a message or a call from him and we deside where we're going will let you know.

Yes, that is why I wanted to try shoot Milky Way at Loch Meadie, because of tree line and I am also hoping for reflections of the stars in the water if water will be flat.

Weather forecast looks not so good now, but maybe will be better, anyway if you will go out with Gordon you can text me where are you going on my mobile at 07900237482, thanx.

Archived